Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com> on 2022/03/27 21:33:29 UTC

Expanding the Web of trust in the Calcite community / PGP Key signing

Hi all,

As it was brought up in the past few releases our web of trust [1] is not
very strong.

We're many members in the PMC, and many more in the broader community, but
very few have signed each other's PGP keys.

In most of the cases when I verify a release I will get a fair warning that
the key used to sign the release is not trusted. This may be OK for
non-regular contributors testing a release candidate but it shouldn't be
the norm for those with binding votes.

I think we should take action and hold a key signing party where at least
the active members in the PMC sign each other's keys. If others find this
subject important we can start directly discussing a date convenient for
the majority.

Going one step further, I would propose to make key signing, part of the
procedure of inviting someone to join the project as committer/PMC. The one
who sends the invitation can also sign the key of the new member, directly
expanding the web of trust for the whole PMC.

Let me know your thoughts.

Best,
Stamatis

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_of_trust

Re: Expanding the Web of trust in the Calcite community / PGP Key signing

Posted by Ruben Q L <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

thanks Stamatis for starting this discussion. I agree with your proposals.

I'm in UTC+1 right now (UTC in winter).

Best,
Ruben

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.