Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Shane Nay <sh...@isupportlive.com> on 2000/06/16 01:39:22 UTC

Re: [OT] [JOB] mod_perl and Apache developers wanted

Hehe, I was going to say I thought I saw some etoy.com action in Perrin's
headers, but looks like he spoke up for himself.  The bottom line is that a lot
of companies have law departments that Do Bad Things.  You just have to keep
them in check.  (i.e. Get GPL clauses in your contracts!, it's _IMPORTANT_, I'm
doing this right now, and will see if it's okay with my lawyer to post the
wording for anyone to use.)

 <rant>
1 _______________________________________________________________________
2
3 ************** DREAMWVR.COM - TOTAL INTERNET SERVICES ****************
4   TOTAL DESIGN - DEVELOPMENT - INTEGRATION - SECURITY - Click Here..
5            <http://www.dreamwvr.com/services/MAX_SEC.html>;
6    DREAMWVR.COM - The Console of Many... 90 Topics Covered
7 <http://www.dreamwvr.com/dynamicduo.html>;
8 <ma...@dreamwvr.com>;
9 ->> LINUX-MANDRAKE Solution Provider and North American Distributor<<-
10                         PRODUCT OF THE YEAR!
11 <http://www.dreamwvr.com/mandrake/mandrake-main.html>;
12  "===0 PGP Key Available
13*************** "As Unique as the Company You Keep."*****************
14    "If anyone speaks from DREAMWVR.COM its certainly not me:-)"
15________________________________________________________________________

15 lines.  Hmm.., what's the distribution of the mod_perl list?  Probably 1000
or so.  So, 15,000 lines of almost spam.  Please dreamwvr..., keep it down to
a dull roar.  People that include mini commercials like Matt tend to keep it
pretty small and professional, like 4 lines.  15 is too much..., no yelling
either.
</rant>
Shane.
(Totally offtopic, but I had to say something)

Re: [OT] [JOB] mod_perl and Apache developers wanted

Posted by "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jw...@acm.org>.
On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Shane Nay wrote:

> Hehe, I was going to say I thought I saw some etoy.com action in Perrin's
> headers, but looks like he spoke up for himself.  The bottom line is that a lot
> of companies have law departments that Do Bad Things.  You just have to keep
> them in check.  (i.e. Get GPL clauses in your contracts!, it's _IMPORTANT_, I'm
> doing this right now, and will see if it's okay with my lawyer to post the
> wording for anyone to use.)

Besides of course abiding by all your software licenses, I believe
programmers working for Internet companies have another serious duty.
That is to squarely refuse to assist in the filing of insipid patents.
You can also have it written into your offer of employment that patent
applications are excluded from your work duties.  By doing so, the
technical people who are behind the inventions can keep the Internet
patent land grab from getting out of control.

IMHO, naturally.  Your philosophical mileage may vary.

Jeffrey Baker