Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Jure Zitnik <ju...@digiverse.si> on 2013/02/20 12:48:05 UTC

[BEP-0003] Custom (3rd party plugin) table upgrade to multi-product (Was: Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #406: Database upgrade to multiproduct)

This is related to my previous mail on Bloodhound database upgrade to
multi-product, this time in relation to 3rd party table upgrade.

The question is how to upgrade & migrate data from custom (3rd party
plugin) tables. Let's assume that we're able to identify tables that
were created by 3rd party plugins by querying SQL server schema. The
mechanism of migration itself shouldn't be a problem as the SQL
translator already knows how to handle those custom tables.

The question is to which product scope(s) and how the data should be
migrated? We can't use the enabled components config as there's no way
of linking those components to the database actual table(s).

So, I would (naively) assume that the custom tables are migrated to all
product scope(s). The problem with that is that we don't have any way of
knowing what Bloodhound resources are referenced from those tables. It
should work for all resources but tickets as all the resources (those
get multiplied during Bloodhound database upgrade) are visible from all
scopes. The tickets are a different story as only tickets in the product
scope will be 'visible', which was not the case prior to database
upgrade and the custom tables might end up referencing non-existent
(after upgrade) tickets...

Any ideas/suggestions on this one?

Cheers,
Jure