Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> on 2011/01/14 11:55:09 UTC

[users@httpd] kill hanging CGIs

Hello,

we provide our users possibility to upload their own CGI scripts, using
suexec (in a limited environment, for security reasons).

I found that a user uploaded CGI that calls flock() function which sometimes
makes the CGI hang for a long time (hours).

Is there possibility to automatically kill such CGI processes after some
time, so they won't cross eat our resources (file locks, for example)?

Unfortunately this can't be done by usint RlimitCPU because the process does
nothing or nearly nothing.

Could mod_cgi or suexec kill the process after configured time?

The apache version is 2.2.16 (gentoo linux).

Thank you

P.S. I know that the problem may lie outside of this problem, but I'm afraid
that if processes will hang, I will just have to kill them somehow).