Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Vlad Dumitrescu <vl...@dumitrescu.ro> on 2009/03/26 03:23:04 UTC

[net] GSoC - Add SSH/SCP Support to Commons-Net

Hello,

My name is Vlad Dumitrescu and I am a second year undergraduate student at
"Politehnica" University of Bucharest - Faculty of Automatic Control and
Computer Science in Bucharest, Romania. I would like to contribute to
Commons-Net as part of Google Summer of Code program.

I have experience with open source development (last year I contributed to a
project of a local open source organization) and I am passionate about computer
networks and protocols (I am currently following a CCNP BSCI course). If you are
interested I can also provide some Java code samples.

Can you give me some suggestions regarding my application for this project?

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,
Vlad Dumitrescu

Re: [net] GSoC - Add SSH/SCP Support to Commons-Net

Posted by Sergey Vladimirov <vl...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Regarding including SSH/SCP in commons-net.

Some of projects that i'm involved in, due to non-technical reasons
prohibit direct usage of any cryptogrphic libraries
(binary-dependency). Including, for example, any SSH/SCP libraries
(j2ssh, jsch, etc.).

Thus, i would appreciate adding SCH/SSH functionality as a new library
for commons, not as an addition to commons-net.

One more thing. Friend of mine from MIPT laboratory created small
commons-ssh library ( http://commons-ssh.sourceforge.net/ ) that
behaves like an thin adapter to known SSH implementation. He is okay
to move it under apache commons project and extends to support SCP.

--
Sergey

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hey Vlad,
>
> Welcome! A few suggestions...
>
> o engage with the community beforehand (you did that - good!)
> o some projects even require a first patch (to judge if the student is
> up to the work)
> o communicate in an open manner - communicate often (given the past
> experience I would fail students that cannot manage to communicate at
> least once a week)
> o while your application is expected to give a high level outline of
> project plan, also provide details that show that you know what you
> are talking about
>
> Also feel free to contact me also off the list if you need further help.
>
> cheers
> --
> Torsten

Sergey Vladimirov

Re: [net] GSoC - Add SSH/SCP Support to Commons-Net