Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Sumanta Gh <su...@tcs.com> on 2015/10/13 09:00:42 UTC

Drop in throughput

Hi,
I was experimenting the reasons why there is significant drop in through-put when I give mixed workload of 70% Upsert + 30% Selects over 100% Upserts or 100% Selects.

While doing that I find that the following line is getting printed every time in my log :-

"Re-resolved stale table MY_TABLE with seqNum 0 at timestamp 1443618964162 with 22 columns: [...]"

Can it be avoided for each SQL query.

regards,
Sumanta

=====-----=====-----=====
and any attachments. Thank you

Re: Drop in throughput

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
Sumanta,
Hard to say what the cause is for the drop in throughput without more
information. It's not uncommon that a mixed workload is going to have some
impact in throughput, though. For example, HBase will be doing splits and
compactions which will impact scan performance. Also, you'll have multiple
HFiles that will need to be merged at read time as opposed to having a
single HFile. Have you profiled the system to see if anything stands out?

For the line you're seeing in your logs, there's another JIRA
(PHOENIX-1270) which I plan to implement that will prevent the pinging of
the server that checks whether a schema is up-to-date. The trade off will
be that schema changes to a table will not be seen until a cluster bounce.

Thanks,
James

Re: Drop in throughput

Posted by Thomas D'Silva <td...@salesforce.com>.