Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Benjamin Schupp <sc...@mptechnology.ch> on 2007/03/15 12:16:28 UTC

Problem with font-weight 'bold' for custom font

Hi everybody,

switching to the fop-0.93 engine, i am facing problems with the pdf-rendering for font-weight=bold for my custom font 'NewsGothic'. The font is found by the engine, but is rendered only a bit wider, not bold. I am using the following configuration:

<fop version="1.0">
  <base>.</base>
  <renderers>
    <renderer mime="application/pdf">
      <filterList>
        <value>flate</value>
      </filterList>
      <fonts>
      </fonts>
    </renderer>
  </renderers>
</fop>

The engine is running on a windows system with a j2re1.4.2_11.
Any help is highly appreciated!

Best regards,
Ben

Re: Problem with font-weight 'bold' for custom font

Posted by Benjamin Schupp <sc...@mptechnology.ch>.
Hi Manuel,

now the bold font is not displayed correctly again. It's weird - I did not make any changes. Viewing the .ttf files with basic font viewers shows them correctly.

Any clue where the problem could be located?

All the best,
Ben

Posted by Benjamin Schupp <sc...@mptechnology.ch>.
Hi Manuel,

Posted by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au>.
On Thursday 15 March 2007 20:16, Benjamin Schupp wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> switching to the fop-0.93 engine, i am facing problems with the
> pdf-rendering for font-weight=bold for my custom font 'NewsGothic'.
> The font is found by the engine, but is rendered only a bit wider,
> not bold. I am using the following configuration:
>
> <fop version="1.0">
>   <base>.</base>
>   <renderers>
>     <renderer mime="application/pdf">
>       <filterList>
>         <value>flate</value>
>       </filterList>
>       <fonts>
> embed-file="lte50112.ttf"> <font-triplet name="NewsGothic"
> style="normal" weight="normal" /> </font>
> embed-file="lte50114.ttf"> <font-triplet name="NewsGothic"
> style="normal" weight="bold" /> </font>
>       </fonts>
>     </renderer>
>   </renderers>
> </fop>
>
> The engine is running on a windows system with a j2re1.4.2_11.
> Any help is highly appreciated!

Ben,

does what is rendered actually match the glyphs as defined in the font,
that is does it match what a basic font viewer would show (not what for
example MS Word would make out of it)?

The reason for the question is that (some) word processors can generate
bold fonts from normal fonts by rendering the same glyph multiple times
with a slight offset. FOP does not do that. It embeds the font
unchanged and without any additional rendering instructions into the
PDF (assuming you generate PDF).

> Best regards,
> Ben

Manuel