Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by lweisz <la...@ubiquity.it> on 2006/09/26 17:10:58 UTC

duplicate messages on failover of activeMq 4.0.1

Hi,
   I'm doing some tests to upgrade from versione 3.2.2 to version 4.0.1.
I'm using activemq with JOnAS 6_6_6 application server. My webapp runs under
jonas with two listener listening on the same queue.
I do the following test:
1- put 1000 messages in the queue
2- let about 200 messages being consumed
3- kill activemq
4- stop jonas
5- start activemq
6- start jonas with my webapp in autoload

What I see is that the remaining messages are delivered twice.
If do the same test with 3 listeners on the queue the remaining messages are
delivered three times
if I use just one listener everyting is ok.
If i monitoro the queue with the jconsole I see the correct numbre of
messages but then they are consumed more than once.
If I don't kill activemq multiple listener are ok.

Thanks in advance for help.

Lara

Re: duplicate messages on failover of activeMq 4.0.1

Posted by lweisz <la...@ubiquity.it>.
When i restart activemq I sometimes notice this error in standard_output of
activemq:

ERROR ManagedRegionBroker            - Failed to register destination
queue://queue.alert_trading
javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException:
org.apache.activemq:BrokerName=BROKER_1,Type=Queue,
Destination=queue.alert_trading

Before the stop of activemq and jonad this are the messages that the two
counsumers count in the queue

WARNING - listenerJMS.onMessage():202 - alert_trading
ActiveMQMessageConsumer.getMessageSize(): 192
WARNING - listenerJMS.onMessage():202 - alert_trading2
ActiveMQMessageConsumer.getMessageSize(): 210

After the restart of jonas:

WARNING - bve.jms.VeListenerJMS.onMessage():202 - alert_trading
ActiveMQMessageConsumer.getMessageSize(): 155

delivers a message. ..

WARNING - bve.jms.VeListenerJMS.onMessage():202 - alert_trading
ActiveMQMessageConsumer.getMessageSize(): 804

The second listener hasn't consume no message while the first counts 155
messages in the queue and, just after It counts 804 (exactly twice the
number of messages left in the queue after the stop)

Hope this is exaustive.

Thanks,

Lara

Posted by lweisz <la...@ubiquity.it>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Could you try help us to reproduce your problem? What kind of consumer
are you using? Are you sure you are using a single queue - as ActiveMQ
load balances queue messages across the available consumers

On 9/26/06, lweisz <la...@ubiquity.it> wrote:

> Hi,
>    I'm doing some tests to upgrade from versione 3.2.2 to version 4.0.1.
> I'm using activemq with JOnAS 6_6_6 application server. My webapp runs under
> jonas with two listener listening on the same queue.
> I do the following test:
> 1- put 1000 messages in the queue
> 2- let about 200 messages being consumed
> 3- kill activemq
> 4- stop jonas
> 5- start activemq
> 6- start jonas with my webapp in autoload
>
> What I see is that the remaining messages are delivered twice.
> If do the same test with 3 listeners on the queue the remaining messages are
> delivered three times
> if I use just one listener everyting is ok.
> If i monitoro the queue with the jconsole I see the correct numbre of
> messages but then they are consumed more than once.
> If I don't kill activemq multiple listener are ok.
>
> Thanks in advance for help.
>
> Lara

James
-------