Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Rainer Garus <ra...@nexgo.de> on 2001/09/30 19:12:28 UTC

text-align = justify not working correctly with "-" (minus) characters

Lines containing "-" (minus) characters are not justified correctly in fop 0.20.1. The line in the pdf file is longer then specified (see attached files).

The area tree is correct. It seems that the width of the "-" character used by the layouter is different from the width of the "-" character in the pdf file.

Another Problem: the width of the "-" character in the ps output file is different from the width of the "-" character in the pdf output file of fop.

What are the reasons?

Rainer Garus

Re: text-align = justify not working correctly with "-" (minus) characters

Posted by Corinna Hischke <co...@infix.de>.
Hi all

I'd like to come back to this problem:

> Lines containing "-" (minus) characters are not justified correctly in fop
0.20.1. The line in the pdf file is longer then specified (see attached
files).

> The area tree is correct. It seems that the width of the "-" character
used by the layouter is different from the width of the "-" character in the
pdf file.

> Another Problem: the width of the "-" character in the ps output file is
different from the width of the "-" character in the pdf output file of fop.

> What are the reasons?
>
> Rainer Garus

I discovered that the width of the characters "minus" and "hyphen" in the
font files is different. For example, in Helvetica.xml, "hyphen" has a width
of 333 and "minus" of "324". Why?

Could it be, that somewhere in FOP "minus" and "hyphen" are used as names
for the same characters?

I also recall that there was a bug report concerning "minus" and text
alignment. But it has not yet been resolved. Any ideas out there, where I
would have to look for the base of this problem?

Thanks,

Corinna