Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com> on 2006/10/06 20:01:05 UTC

[VOTE] Officially rename the project to Apache CXF

I'd like to vote to officially rename the project to Apache CXF.

I'm extremely +1.

There are a lot reasons to do so:  (summary of previous discussions)

1) All of our Apache resources are "CXF".   If someone goes to apache to
looking for CeltiXfire using the "normal Apache" URL's and such, they won't
find it.  Example: if they send a note to celtixfire-dev-subsribe, it would
bounce, etc...

2) Branding - It seems like all of us are calling it CXF in our
communication. However, the "Apache Branding" would require it to use the
full project name.  It would be good if it matched to avoid confusion for
users.    (Example: in a note on the incubator list during the recent
issues, someone asked why we were calling it CXF.)   Anyway, a lot of people
are already associating CXF with the project.   Let's build on that.

3) Our package name, jars, install dir, etc.. all use "cxf" right now.   No
work would need to be done there.  (I'm lazy, I admit it.)

4) No wacky CamelCase spellings to cause confusions and branding issues.
(Celtixfire, CeltiXfire, CeltiXFire, etc..)

5) Already I18N capable.  :-)     Seriously, we had some chats on IRC
about "how to pronounce" some of the other ideas.   Example: Apparently the
word "foam" is hard to pronounce in some locales.   Also, "Celtic" is
pronounced different in various locales as well.

6) Break some ties with the "messes" that we've been involved in.   I keep
hearing nicknames like "celtic-miss-fire" and such.   That's not good.    The
recent events certainly didn't help things.   A semi-clean slate is probably
a good idea.   Make them think of new nicknames.   :-)

7) However, by keeping the initials, there is "some" tie to the previous
projects, but the tie is broken enough to make it clear, this really is
something new and better.

8) The top two google links for CXF are already our own confluence space.
Nice job everyone.   :-)    CXF is an acronym for "Chemical eXchange Format",
but that really shouldn't matter for us.

Thanks!
--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: [VOTE] Officially rename the project to Apache CXF

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Oct 6, 2006, at 11:01 AM, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> I'd like to vote to officially rename the project to Apache CXF.

+1

-pete

Re: [VOTE] Officially rename the project to Apache CXF

Posted by Kevin Conner <Ke...@jboss.com>.
Daniel Kulp wrote:
> I'd like to vote to officially rename the project to Apache CXF.

+1

	Kev

Re: [VOTE] Officially rename the project to Apache CXF

Posted by Mika Göckel <mi...@gmx.de>.
-1 (non-binding)

just because we're using the abbreviation CXF for convenience reasons
doesn't mean it's a good name at all.
Please name some successful projects with such a short, non speaking
acronym as a name, if any they are few.
I've got 615.000 hits with this acronym on german google, how will you
ensure people are finding us?
How should people talk about CXF? Is it cee-eks-eff? What does it mean,
where's the story? Does it create phantasies? No.

"Anyway, a lot of people

are already associating CXF with the project."

Sorry, Daniel, but a lot of people means a couple of thousands, not the bunch reading incubator-general. If we were on tss with the name, I would agree, but at this time there are only a few having associated the name with the project.

To summarize: I don't think acronyms are good names for projects, I recommend finding a better name now.

Cheers,
Mika

--
cyber:con gmbh
Mika Göckel

Rathausallee 10
53757 Sankt Augustin

tel (+49)2241 / 9350 0
fax (+49)2241 / 9350 99
mob (+49) 172 / 279 2771
skype mika.goeckel
email mika@cybercon.de

Re: [VOTE] Officially rename the project to Apache CXF

Posted by Andrea Smyth <an...@iona.com>.
+1

Andrea.

Posted by Balaji Ravi <ba...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Mark Little <ma...@jboss.com>.
+1

Posted by "Lin, Bozhong" <Bo...@iona.com>.
0  (non-binding)

In principle I agree that the project name should be changed, as from my experieces of workoing on distribution module. However, I also feel that CXF name is no better than CeltiXfire, we have used it in every project places simply because it is handy. My +1 is ready for any better name, and we should consider a better name.

Cheers,
Bo

________________________________

Posted by Jiang Ning <ni...@iona.com>.
+1

Daniel Kulp wrote:

>I'd like to vote to officially rename the project to Apache CXF.

Willem

Re: [VOTE] Officially rename the project to Apache CXF

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Oct 6, 2006, at 2:01 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> I'd like to vote to officially rename the project to Apache CXF.
>
> I'm extremely +1.

+1... it's already, I think, a fait accompli, imo :)

Re: [VOTE] Officially rename the project to Apache CXF

Posted by Scott Nicholls <sn...@virtuas.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Re: I18N and L10N stuff...

Posted by Mark Little <ma...@jboss.com>.
Hi Dan. I'll look into that when I get back.

Mark.

Re: I18N and L10N stuff...

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
Mark,

Re: I18N and L10N stuff...

Posted by Mark Little <ma...@jboss.com>.

Re: I18N and L10N stuff...

Posted by Mark Little <ma...@jboss.com>.

Re: I18N and L10N stuff...

Posted by Mark Little <ma...@jboss.com>.

I18N and L10N stuff...

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
Mark,

I18N/L10N

Posted by Mark Little <ma...@jboss.com>.
Sending again, with a more appropriate subject line.

Mark.

Posted by Mark Little <ma...@jboss.com>.

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Officially rename the project to Apache CXF

Posted by Kevin Conner <Ke...@jboss.com>.
Christoph Sturm wrote:
> doesnt apache style voting work in a way that one -1 is a veto and
> thus the proposal cant be accepted?

I believe this is only true of code modifications.

	Kev

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Officially rename the project to Apache CXF

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
> On 10/9/06, Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com> wrote:
> > 14 +1s (12 binding)
> > 1 +0s (1 binding)
> > 1 0s (1 binding)
> > 1 -1 (1 binding)
> >
> > Congrats!   We have a name, at least for now.     :-)
>
> doesnt apache style voting work in a way that one -1 is a veto and
> thus the proposal cant be accepted?

From:
http://apache.org/foundation/voting.html

Votes on procedural issues follow the common format of majority rule
unless otherwise stated. That is, if there are more favourable votes than
unfavorable ones, the issue is considered to have passed.

For the most part, there are only two votes where a -1 is a veto:

1) Code modifications - the -1 must also have a technical reason for the
veto.

2) In the Incubator, the iPMC can "veto" a release.   Like a code
modification, there should be a technical reason that the podling should
fix to turn the -1 into a +1.    Out of the incubator, a release isn't
veto-able.

Enjoy!

Posted by Christoph Sturm <ch...@gmail.com>.
hey

On 10/9/06, Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com> wrote:

> 14 +1s (12 binding)
> 1 +0s (1 binding)
> 1 0s (1 binding)
> 1 -1 (1 binding)
>
> Congrats!   We have a name, at least for now.     :-)

doesnt apache style voting work in a way that one -1 is a veto and
thus the proposal cant be accepted?

regards
 chris

[VOTE][RESULT] Officially rename the project to Apache CXF

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
This vote has passed with:    (using everyone on the initial commiter list
on the proposal as "binding" votes)

+1      (dkulp, ejohnson, asakala, dmoynihan, mlittle, bravi, pjones,
jjagielski, kconnor, willem, asmyth, proyal)  (nonbind: enolan,
snicholls)
+0      (ddiephouse)
0         (blin)
-1        (mgockel)

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
I have to agree with Hani that CXF still sucks as a name. However, its
better than CeltiXfire. In principle I'm -1, but in practicality I'm +1
because I haven't heard a better name - so I give it a +0.

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
(616) 971-2053

Re: [VOTE] Officially rename the project to Apache CXF

Posted by Hani Suleiman <ha...@formicary.net>.

Posted by Peter Jones <pe...@iona.com>.
+1