Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by j0llyr0g3r <ti...@wincor-nixdorf.com> on 2008/05/14 14:14:15 UTC

HTTPS in general not working between brokers?

Hey folks,

i have a major problem with AMQ here.

After extensively reading / searching:

-> google
-> the mailing-list
-> the official documentation
-> the documentation from ttmsolutions.com
-> Jira

and after opening up this thread

->http://www.nabble.com/http-ok%2C-ssl-ok%2C-HTTPS--%3E-NOT-ok--td17131092s2354.html#a17131092

i have come to the conclusion that https can only be used between clients
and brokers but NOT between brokers and brokers.

I didn't find any statement which clarifies this matter, so this is just my
guess.

Could somebody please clarify this issue?

Has anybody ever used a https-connection between brokers?

Re: HTTPS in general not working between brokers?

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 12:50 PM, j0llyr0g3r
<ti...@wincor-nixdorf.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i would like to join the IRC-channel, but unfortunately  company's security
> policy doesn't allow IRC-traffic.
>
> I tried via mibbit.com (web-based IRC-client), but no luck so far.
>
> Could it be that your IRC-Server is not accessible via public IRC-servers
> like irc.freenode.net?

1) Go to http://irc.codehaus.org/
2) Enter your username and select the #codehaus channel
3) Once inside the #codehaus channel, type the following IRC command
into the command box:

/join #activemq

4) In a few seconds you should be in the #activemq channel via a HTTP
proxy (i.e., IRC tunneled over HTTP (port 80))

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

Re: HTTPS in general not working between brokers?

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
OK.. perhaps the best way is if you join the our IRC channel at:

irc://irc.codehaus.org/activemq

that way I can give you better real time help on getting started at
tacking this issue.

Regards,
Hiram

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 2:44 PM, j0llyr0g3r
<ti...@wincor-nixdorf.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> regarding:
>
> If you interested in helping let me know and I'll get
> you started in the right direction.
>

> Since we have an urgent need for this functionality: Yes, please get me
> started, and i will (hopefully) be able to supply a patch....

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: HTTPS in general not working between brokers?

Posted by ttmdev <jo...@ttmsolutions.com>.
Be advised that if not configured properly, Jetty's SslSocketConnector may go
into an infinite loop, and your VM quickly runs out of memory. All this
happens during broker startup. A couple of months back, someone else
encountered the same problem and engaged the Jetty professional support team
to solve the problem.  Here's what he had to say.

"They (Jetty professional support team) copied my code and keystore and
duplicated the problem at their servers.  They were able to turn on debug
flags that I did not know existed and see an exception that Jetty was
silently burying, that showed the SSL certificate had not been loaded into
the keystore successfully.  They did something to load the certificate
differently and they tell me they got it to work.  I don't know what they
did, but they explained it in a document I have not read yet as I have been
traveling overseas."

Joe

Posted by ttmdev <jo...@ttmsolutions.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

<ti...@wincor-nixdorf.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> using the ssl-conncetor for ssl works fine but this is not what i need.
>
> Because of a http-proxy in the middle i need to use the https-connector.
>
> As described here:
>
> http://www.nabble.com/http-ok%2C-ssl-ok%2C-HTTPS--%3E-NOT-ok--td17131092s2354.html
>
> - ssl works
> - http work (even over proxies)
> - https does not work
>
> Certificates, truststores etc are configured correctly, otherwise ssl
> wouldn't work.
>
> So, in a nutshell, https is my problem, not ssl.
>
> All of the above led me to the conclusion that the https-connector simply
> doesn't work at all (see my thread above).....
>
> The sparse documentation about this is either wrong or inaccurate, just
> using
>
> https://foo:3434
>
> does not work even if all prerequisites like certificates etc. are
> fullfilled.
>
> Any more ideas?

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: HTTPS in general not working between brokers?

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
You should be able to use the ssl: transports between brokers just
fine.  All you have to configure is the key and trust stores + the JVM
properties for them.

Regards,
Hiram