Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Christopher Wirt <ch...@struq.com> on 2013/12/18 15:24:47 UTC

WRITETIME question

Is there any reason to use the WRITETIME function on non-counter columns?

I'm using CQL statements via the thrift protocol and get a Timestamp
returned with each column.

I'm pretty sure select a, writetime(a) from b where u = 1 is unnecessary for
me. Unless a is a counter.

I guess my real question is.. What, if any, is the difference between
selecting writetime(column) and just looking at the Timestamp of a selected
column.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: WRITETIME question

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.
On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Christopher Wirt <ch...@struq.com>wrote:

> What, if any, is the difference between selecting writetime(column) and
> just looking at the Timestamp of a selected column.

There's no difference. The writetime() function is only really necessary
for native protocol drivers, which don't normally get back the timestamp
for each column.

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>