Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kelly Jones <ke...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/19 01:50:28 UTC

Rule that negative scores emails from blackberry.com, not spoofers

How do I write a rule that negative scores emails "from"
blackberry.com. In other words, where the reverse DNS of the IP
address connecting to my mailserver matches the regex /.*blackberry\.com$/

The obvious:

Received =~ /.*blackberry\.com$/

doesn't work, because someone could "HELO blackberry.com" or spoof a
blackberry.com received header somewhere in the message headers prior
to the last hop.

Is this a good place to use the X-Spam-Relays-Trusted: and

Reason I want to do this: by default, Blackberry sends text email
MIME-encoded and its timezone is +0000. This means it gets dinged by
the MIME_BASE64_TEXT rule AND the LW_STOCK_SPAM4 which is defined as:

meta LW_STOCK_SPAM4 __RATWARE_0_TZ_DATE && MIME_BASE64_TEXT

I want to even things out by giving a negative score to cancel out
those two positive scores.

Has anyone else run into this issue and/or written a rule to compensate?

Re: Rule that negative scores emails from blackberry.com, not spoofers

Posted by Jan Doberstein <jd...@hosteurope.de>.
Hiya,

Kelly Jones schrieb:
> Reason I want to do this: by default, Blackberry sends text email
> MIME-encoded and its timezone is +0000. This means it gets dinged by
> the MIME_BASE64_TEXT rule AND the LW_STOCK_SPAM4 which is defined as:
>
> meta LW_STOCK_SPAM4 __RATWARE_0_TZ_DATE && MIME_BASE64_TEXT

If Timezone differs from Blackberry Server, it will also Trigger
INVALID_DATE cause the Header will look like this:

--- cut ---
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 14:58:27 +0000 GMT
--- cut ---

> Has anyone else run into this issue and/or written a rule to compensate?

I'm just a little bit frustrated that a company can constrain technicans
 to find a way that there "broken" things are going to work ...

Maybe i'll use whitelist_from or something like this. Not sure quit at
the moment if i realy want this ... why not try to force blackberry to
send "good" mails ?

\jd

Re: Rule that negative scores emails from blackberry.com, not spoofers

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Kelly Jones wrote:

> The obvious:
>
> Received =~ /.*blackberry\.com$/
>
> doesn't work, because someone could "HELO blackberry.com" or spoof a
> blackberry.com received header somewhere in the message headers prior
> to the last hop.

...so add enough to it to match only on Received headers that *your*
MTA inserts.

  "Bother," said Pooh as he struggled with /etc/sendmail.cf, "it never
  does quite what I want. I wish Christopher Robin was here."
				           -- Peter da Silva in a.s.r
 7 days until Christmas