Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com> on 2009/04/27 17:19:50 UTC

Using Existing Libraries Versus Writing Your Own

I hate reinventing the wheel. It's a waste of time. I'd rather use
someone else's wheel invention.

When programming, I'd rather do some research and find existing code
that does what I want - instead of writing my own code. The less code I
write, the less code I have to maintain.

OFBiz does a pretty good job of building on existing code libraries. But
every once in a while, we end up writing code that already exists
elsewhere. As an example, I recently removed a utility method that
duplicated a method that already existed in the Apache Commons library.

So, I'm sending this out to the developer community as a reminder:
Before you create a new method or class or framework, take some time to
see if it already exists somewhere.

-Adrian

Re: Using Existing Libraries Versus Writing Your Own

Posted by Ashish Vijaywargiya <as...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
+1

--
Ashish