Posted to dev@ponymail.apache.org by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> on 2016/05/30 07:06:40 UTC

How about some coffee?

I've been pondering this since I was forcibly introduced (by Ulises!) to
CoffeeScript and found it to my liking....would it be sensible to start
porting the JS we have to CoffeeScript and possibly make it just a tad
more understandable to people not intricately knowledgeable about how
Pony Mail works?

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: How about some coffee?

Posted by Ulises <ul...@gmail.com>.
Despite my shallow knowledge of CoffeeScript (and in lieu of my shallow
hate of JavaScript) I'd +1 such motion.

Re: How about some coffee?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 05/30/2016 09:27 AM, Pierre Smits wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> +0  As I have never worked with CoffeeScript.
>
> But is this something that we should venture into before the podling is
> completely setup (JIRA, Confluence, etc)? How would we track completeness
> etc?
>
> I would rather go for having a first ASF release based on current
> functionalities before introducing new languages.

It's not a new language as such, but merely a 'higher level' language
compared to JavaScript. It compiles to JavaScript, so from the users'
side of things, nothing changes, only the dev environment would change.

I suppose I could port (i.e. make a coffee version of) one or two files,
and people could see what it's all about?

In my experience, it really makes much of day-to-day JavaScript code
easier to grok and hack on.

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: How about some coffee?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 8:00 AM Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> I don't think the incubator timeline has any bearing at all on technical
> decisions.

Agreed, but....

> On May 30, 2016 3:27 AM, "Pierre Smits" <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > +0  As I have never worked with CoffeeScript.
> >
> > But is this something that we should venture into before the podling is
> > completely setup (JIRA, Confluence, etc)? How would we track completeness
> > etc?
> >
> > I would rather go for having a first ASF release based on current
> > functionalities before introducing new languages.

This is always a positive sign for a podling.  If we can do it, great.  If
we cannot, fine.

Anyways, I'm -1 on coffeescript.  Its a great idea, but realistically no
one uses it.  Would be another entry barrier.

Re: How about some coffee?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: How about some coffee?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.