Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com> on 2001/05/01 15:29:41 UTC

patternRegions.svg Pattern #4

Hi all,

   I was checking into why patterns can get a bit slow when
blown up really large and I noticed something odd...

   Pattern #4 in the samples/tests/patternRegions.svg used 25% for the
cx attribute on the circle element.  It appears that something
interpreted this as '25' since the units were objectBoundingBox, this
made the pattern _very_ wide, thus slowing down the pattern drawing
(overflow was true).

   It isn't clear to me if this is a bug in the test, or the handling
of the attribute.  The intent was obviously to get the equivilent of
'.25' for cx.  Since this is the only test that used a percentage I'm
guessing it was missed during a round of cleanup.  Anyone have any
idea on this?

Re: patternRegions.svg Pattern #4

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vh...@eng.sun.com>.
Thomas,

Thomas E Deweese wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>    I was checking into why patterns can get a bit slow when
> blown up really large and I noticed something odd...
>
>    Pattern #4 in the samples/tests/patternRegions.svg used 25% for the
> cx attribute on the circle element.  It appears that something
> interpreted this as '25' since the units were objectBoundingBox, this
> made the pattern _very_ wide, thus slowing down the pattern drawing
> (overflow was true).
>
>    It isn't clear to me if this is a bug in the test, or the handling
> of the attribute.  The intent was obviously to get the equivilent of
> '.25' for cx.
> Since this is the only test that used a percentage I'm
> guessing it was missed during a round of cleanup.  Anyone have any
> idea on this?

Actually, the test is using 25% on purpose and I remember going
through this when I last updated the example to reflect our fixes of %
handling. The original test was checking that 25% was equivalent to
.25 (which is wrong, this is not how % are handled), but I left the
% after the fix because it does validate the proper computation of
the % attribute.
However, you are right that 25% is not a great choice for the value
because it does make the pattern tile large, so I am not against
changing the example if you feel like doing it.

V.