Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Mauro Franceschini <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/16 13:42:49 UTC

[collections] Porting to JDK 1.5 and Generics

Hi to all!

Any ideas about a port to Generics in JDK1.5 about the Commons
Collections Framework?

I'd like to help on it.

Mauro

Re: [collections] Porting to JDK 1.5 and Generics

Posted by Chris Lambrou <ma...@chrislambrou.com>.
Hi Lukas,

Whilst generic collections provide type safety at compile time, at
runtime all of the specific type information is erased and the
collections classes behave much the same way as their Java 1.4
predecessors.  With respect to the actual implementations of the classes
within the Java Collections Framework, having spent a fair amount of
time looking at them, I see nothing to suggest that their
reimplementation in Java 5  would give rise to any performance
improvement. The only noticeable change to the collections classes is
their generification.  Any specific performance improvements that you
may observe are likely to be due to more general performance
improvements that have been made to Sun's Java 5 JRE (note that it's
possible that some of these improvements may also have been included in
the recent latest releases of the 1.4 JDK).

Chris

Posted by Lukas Vlcek <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Is there any performance gain in <Generics> Collections in Java5? Can
I expect performace improvement or specialized type collection
libraries (like fastutil) will be always faster.
Lukas

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
This project is on sf because no-one at Apache was
willing to step up and manage it here. The aim would
be to pull the code back in at some point, once more
complete.

Stephen

Posted by Mauro Franceschini <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.