Posted to user@hama.apache.org by Thomas Jungblut <th...@googlemail.com> on 2012/04/22 15:43:56 UTC

BSP Development Tutorial

Hey all,

I took the time to add a documentation about how I write BSP's.
It is written with the new Hama-0.5.0 release which will be available soon.
It introduces a step-by-step guide in eclipse and gives a guiding hand and
also is a introduction into realtime systems with Hama.
I hope it is working for you and helps by implementing BSP systems more
easily.

Hope to hear some feedback ;)

Thomas

Re: BSP Development Tutorial

Posted by Praveen Sripati <pr...@gmail.com>.
Thomas,

I was thinking about this and one of the main drawback I see is that as the
rate of input messages changes, the job can't scaled up/down. There is no
elasticity and I have to pay fixed amount.

Praveen

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks for the review.

Shouldn't it be setJar or setJarByClass method.

I put that up as well, but normally setJarByClass is more safer and
convenient to use.

2) The master sends messages to itself when Math.abs(newInt %
> peer.getNumPeers()) equals 0, but the master is not processing the incoming
> messages.

Obviously, this is a bug. Thanks for catching it.

Please elaborate why when using remote access why there is no need for
> global sync.

Wait until it is done, a single RPC call is less costly than a global sync.

4) The Twitter example in your blog (1) was more interesting and clear than
> the random # generation.

So I should let the user download the version of twitter4j just because it
is more interesting? Seriously this is an introduction.

5) > It is assuming that you have Hama-0.5.0 running (see GettingStarted),
> either as deamons or in Eclipse (or any other favorable IDE) as a
> localrunner.

Except for the generic parameter M, are any other specific features of 0.5
> used? 0.5 is not still in the download area, wiki would be better on the
> 0.4 release.

That is why I'm distributing it over the mailing list to sanity check this
before we have 0.5.0 out.
There are other fancy features, but they don't belong into a tutorial like
this.

--
Thomas Jungblut
Berlin <th...@gmail.com>