Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by Matt Cheah <mc...@palantir.com> on 2018/12/12 20:53:36 UTC

Reattempted message: Iceberg Encryption Proposal

Hi everyone,

Firstly, if this is a duplicate e-mail, I apologize for that – it’s unclear if my previous e-mail went through so I’m trying again.

Encrypting data written to Iceberg tables is crucial for using this technology securely in industry settings. Towards that end, I’ve proposed an API for supporting encryption, including how users can implement their own custom encryption key providers and the metadata we’ll need to store in manifests.

You can find the full spec here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LptmFB7az2rLnou27QK_KKHgjcA5vKza0dWj4h8fkno/edit

The GitHub ticket tracking this is here: https://github.com/apache/incubator-iceberg/issues/20

Feel free to provide feedback in comments on the document.

Thanks!

-Matt Cheah

Re: Reattempted message: Iceberg Encryption Proposal

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for writing this up! I'll take a look as soon as I can.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer