Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Naresh Koutam <na...@aptuit.com> on 2007/05/03 13:28:09 UTC

windows authentication problem

Hi,

 We are working on a project which requires us to interact with an ASP
on IIS 5 behind Https with windows authentication. There is a link to
this ASP application on click of this the user should auto login with
the available credentials (username and password are read from
properties file). But when we used HttpClient we are able to get the
Index page content as a String in the program.But to our agony when we
try to access the URL through the Java Program after HttpClient
authentication, windows authentication popup is thrown. Is there any I
could navigate to next page after authentication?

We are behind a Proxy, the same program works fine with an ASP
application which is running on IIS 6 with Https and Windows
Authentication.=20

ISAPI filter rewriting is the only why or do we have some solution with
Java and related technologies.

Thanks,

Naresh Kumar Koutam

****************IMPORTANT--PLEASE READ*******************
This electronic message, including its attachments, is COMPANY CONFIDENTIAL
and may contain PROPRIETARY or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED information.  If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this message or any of the information included
in it is unauthorized and strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and
permanently delete this message and its attachments, along with any copies
thereof. If this electronic message contains a zipped attachment and you do
not have a decompression tool, you may download unZIP (free of cost) from:
http://www.mk-net-work.com/us/uz/unzip.htm. Alternatively, you may request
that the attachment be resent in an uncompressed format.        Thank you.

RE: windows authentication problem

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 04:07 -0500, Naresh Koutam wrote:
> Hi Roland,
>
> If you see my code I am getting the response as string of the index page
> fo the ASP application after login using getResponseBodyAsString.
> Instead of doing this I want the user to be redirect to that page with
> the user being prompted for username and password again.
>
> So, how to use the HttpState while redirecting?
>
> Thanks,
> Naresh Kumar

Naresh

Please post a _complete_ wire / context log of the HTTP session (as
stated in the HttpClient troubleshooting guide) if you expect any
meaningful help from us

Oleg

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hello Naresh,

In a previous mail, you wrote:

> when we
> try to access the URL through the Java Program after HttpClient
> authentication, windows authentication popup is thrown.

So that is exactly what you want. What is your problem?

I am suspecting that you don't have any problem with HttpClient
at all, but that you need help with your application architecture.
That is not the scope of this mailing list. We do have an
application design FAQ though, and I recently added something
about servers authenticating on behalf of clients:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/FrequentlyAskedApplicationDesignQuestions#head-e63c63dcbb2b152f9f6ad74b29b80cd00d45abe7

I'm not sure whether that is what you are trying to do.
If so: it's not possible.

hope that helps,
  Roland

Re: windows authentication problem

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.

Posted by Roland Weber <RO...@de.ibm.com>.
Hello Naresh,

>     private void getConnected() throws IOException {
>
>         HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
>         HttpState state = client.getState();

Keep that state in the HttpSession of the servlet. For future
requests, pass that state to HttpClient.executeMethod(...) or
use HttpClient.setState(...) if there are no multithreading
issues.

>         } finally {
>             // release any connection resources used by the method
>             httpget.releaseConnection();
>         }

You are releasing the connection back to the manager, but
you are not _closing_ it. If you don't plan to re-use the
HttpClient object or it's connection manager, call
HttpConnectionManager.shutdown().

Read the Threading Guide and the Performance Guide first:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/threading.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/performance.html

hope that helps,
  Roland

RE: windows authentication problem

Posted by Naresh Koutam <na...@aptuit.com>.
Hi Roland,

Here is the code that I used, please give me suggestion how to keep the
HttpState while redirecting..

Code Starts here
******************

public class LinkPage {

    private ExternalContext ectx = null;
    private HttpServletRequest request = null;
    private HttpServletResponse response = null;
    private HttpSession session = null;

    public LinkPage() {
        ectx = FacesContext.getCurrentInstance().getExternalContext();
        request = (HttpServletRequest)ectx.getRequest();
        response = (HttpServletResponse)ectx.getResponse();
        session = (HttpSession)ectx.getSession(true);
    }

    public String formSubmit_action(){
        try {

            getConnected();
            return "success";
        } catch (Exception exception) {
            exception.printStackTrace();
        }
        return "success";
    }

    private void getConnected() throws IOException {

        HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
        HttpState state = client.getState();
        GetMethod redirect = null;
        client.getHostConfiguration().setProxy("xxx.xxx.x.xx", 8080);

        HttpClientParams params = new HttpClientParams();
        Credentials credentials = (Credentials)new
ConsoleAuthPrompter();
        state.setCredentials(null,credentials);

        client.getParams().setParameter(CredentialsProvider.PROVIDER,
                                        credentials);

client.getParams().setBooleanParameter(HttpClientParams.ALLOW_CIRCULAR_R
EDIRECTS,
        true);
        GetMethod httpget =
            new GetMethod("https://abcdef.xyz.com/ouapp/index.html");

            httpget.setDoAuthentication(true);
        try {
        	int status = client.executeMethod(httpget);

            response.setHeader("Location",
"https://abcdef.xyz.com/ouapp/index.html");
            response.setStatus(301);
        } catch (Exception e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        } finally {
            // release any connection resources used by the method
            httpget.releaseConnection();

        }
    }

    public class ConsoleAuthPrompter implements CredentialsProvider {

        private BufferedReader in = null;

        public ConsoleAuthPrompter() {
            super();
            this.in = new BufferedReader(new
InputStreamReader(System.in));
        }

        private String readConsole() throws IOException {
            return this.in.readLine();
        }

        public Credentials getCredentials(final AuthScheme authscheme,
                                          String host, int port,
                                          boolean proxy) throws
CredentialsNotAvailableException {
            if (authscheme == null) {
                return null;
            }
            try {
                if (authscheme instanceof NTLMScheme) {
                    System.out.println(host + ":" + port +
                                       " requires Windows authentication
- realm " +
                                       authscheme.getRealm());
                  String domain ="abcd";
                   String user = "abcdefgh";
                   String password = "zysaere";
                    return new NTCredentials(user, password, host,
domain);

                } else if (authscheme instanceof RFC2617Scheme) {

                   String domain ="abcd";
				   String user = "abcdefgh";
                   String password = "zysaere";
                    return new UsernamePasswordCredentials(user,
password);
                } else {
                    throw new
CredentialsNotAvailableException("Unsupported authentication scheme: " +

authscheme.getSchemeName());
                }
            } catch (IOException e) {
                throw new
CredentialsNotAvailableException(e.getMessage(), e);
            }
        }
    }
}

********************** end here

Thanks,
Naresh Kumar

Posted by Roland Weber <RO...@de.ibm.com>.
Hello Naresh,

Posted by Naresh Koutam <na...@aptuit.com>.
Hi Roland,

1. If you authenticate against the proxy with HttpClient.

 I am not authenticating with proxy. We have proxy and I am using the
following code
     HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
     client.getHostConfiguration().setProxy("xxx.xxx.x.xx", 8080);

2. Then you should also use HttpClient to read index.asp Make sure to
use the same HttpState, then the credentials from the first
authentication will be available for later requests, too.

Please help I am not sure how to get the above working. It would great
if you could share code snippet.

Thanks,
Naresh

> Oops, Ok let me put it this way. We used HttpClient to authenticate
with
> ASP application (enabled Https) behind NTLM. We want to display the
> index.asp after successful authentication with the IIS 5 NTLM. When we
> try to redirect to index.asp after authentication, username/password
> popup is prompted. Our problem can we do this HttpClient.

HttpClient never pops up a user dialog. If you authenticate
against the proxy with HttpClient, then you should also use

Posted by Roland Weber <RO...@de.ibm.com>.
Hello Naresh,

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 06:28 -0500, Naresh Koutam wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  We are working on a project which requires us to interact with an ASP
> on IIS 5 behind Https with windows authentication. There is a link to
> this ASP application on click of this the user should auto login with
> the available credentials (username and password are read from
> properties file). But when we used HttpClient we are able to get the
> Index page content as a String in the program.But to our agony when we
> try to access the URL through the Java Program after HttpClient
> authentication, windows authentication popup is thrown. Is there any I
> could navigate to next page after authentication?
>

> We are behind a Proxy, the same program works fine with an ASP
> application which is running on IIS 6 with Https and Windows
> Authentication.=20
>

> ISAPI filter rewriting is the only why or do we have some solution
with
> Java and related technologies.

Naresh

I am afraid I do not quite understand what the problem is.

Please see if these resources could be of some help:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/troubleshooting.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/authentication.html
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/FrequentlyAskedNTLMQuestions

Oleg