Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Albert Briner <al...@wega-informatik.ch> on 2005/09/16 14:03:40 UTC

print date at document view time

Hi,

I didn't find anything in the XSL-FO standard, but is there a way in FOP to
generate a document "field" that will convert to the current date at the
time the document is printed (assuming the format supports such functionality).

When I search for "print date" I usually get answers about getting the
current time at render time (e.g. converting XSL-FO to PDF). Note that I'm
talking about print time (e.g. time the user sends the PDF to the printer).

Thanks,

Albert

Re: Centering content with FO:LEADER

Posted by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au>.
Try text-align="center" instead of align="center"

Manuel

Re: print date at document view time

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Interesting link. It didn't occur to me to try it like this. So yes,
you're right, this is about getting some JavaScript into PDF, something
FOP can't do, yet. Patches against FOP Trunk are welcome! :-)

On 16.09.2005 14:50:50 Albert Briner wrote:
> Thanks for taking the time,
>
> I thought there might be e.g. a PDF function FOP could put into the PDF
> that Acrobat then later converts to the current time. Doing some more
> searching I came across this article:
>
> http://www.planetpdf.com/developer/article.asp?ContentID=6904
>
> It seems there are ways - if convoluted ones - to make PDF put out the
> print date. I guess I need to look into getting Javascript inside a PDF
> document - through XSL-FO and FOP. Not what I was hoping for  :-)
>

> At 14:11 9/16/2005, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> >Yes, there is no such thing in XSL-FO. There's also nothing in PDF that
> >would allow to do this. After all, FOP doesn't send the PDF to the
> >printer. FOP doesn't know when you print your PDF using Acrobat Reader,
> >for example. The only thing you can do is put the current date into the
> >XSL-FO document at the XSLT stage using EXSLT date and time functions,
> >for example.
> >
> >On 16.09.2005 14:03:40 Albert Briner wrote:
> > > I didn't find anything in the XSL-FO standard, but is there a way in
> > FOP to
> > > generate a document "field" that will convert to the current date at the
> > > time the document is printed (assuming the format supports such
> > functionality).
> > >
> > > When I search for "print date" I usually get answers about getting the
> > > current time at render time (e.g. converting XSL-FO to PDF). Note that I'm
> > > talking about print time (e.g. time the user sends the PDF to the printer).
> >

> >Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki

Re: print date at document view time

Posted by Albert Briner <al...@wega-informatik.ch>.