Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Piter85 Piter85 <pi...@hotmail.it> on 2012/09/12 11:34:27 UTC

How get information messages when a JobControl is used ?

Hi! I'm using JobControl (v. 1.0.3)  to chain two MapReduce applications. It works and creates output data, but it doesn't give me back information messages as number of mappers, number of records in input or in output, etc...

It only returns messages like this :
12/09/12 09:56:38 WARN mapred.JobClient: Use GenericOptionsParser for parsing the arguments. Applications should implement Tool for the same.
12/09/12 09:56:38 INFO input.FileInputFormat: Total input paths to process : 4

I tried to use ControlledJob's toString() method but it returns me only this kind of message:

job name:    songsort
job id:    jobctrl1
job state:    RUNNING
job mapred id:    job_201209120942_0005
job message:    just initialized
job has 1 dependeng jobs:
     depending job 0:    canzoni

Any idea to get back remainder infos?

Bye!

RE: How get information messages when a JobControl is used ?

Posted by Piter85 Piter85 <pi...@hotmail.it>.
Ok I will do it!

From: Rekha_Joshi@intuit.com
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: How get information messages when a JobControl is used ?
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 11:41:21 +0000

Good
 that web hdfs is sufficient for now, Piter!
The
 counters are part of o.a.h.mapreduce.Job so you can get them as job.getCounters()..etc
 or via JobInProgress. It is not a JobControl feature as such, so they will not be directly in JobControl/ControlledJob API.

However
Bertrand's point is an important one, if there are identified synchronization, concurrency issues on JobControl, the values on webhdfs too will reflect that ..unless as the collection of counters is happening within context..hmm..well..

Do please keep us updated if the values you see seem incorrect!

Thanks
Rekha

From: Piter85 Piter85 <pi...@hotmail.it>

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:12:23 +0200

To: <us...@hadoop.apache.org>

Hi Rekha and Bertrand! Thanks for the answers! Ok I see that in web interface (_logs->history->job_.....) there are infos about executions of jobs.

I hope that this infos will be enough for me.

As I said before, scanning APIs, the only method that I found was ControlledJob:toString().

Bye! :)

Piter

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 12:21:24 +0200

From: dechouxb@gmail.com

To: user@hadoop.apache.org

But as far as I know there is no way to have a snapshot of the JobControl state.

I was trying only to get the state of all jobs and it is not possible to get a consistent view.

For Map/Reduce progress, I guess you could the same by digging into the APIs.

But I am afraid you will have the same problems.

Regards

Bertrand

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Joshi, Rekha
<Re...@intuit.com> wrote:

Hi Piter,

JobControl just means there are multiple complex jobs, but you will see the information for each job on your hadoop web interface webhdfs still, wouldn't you?
Or if that does not work, you might need to use Reporters/Counters to get the log info data in custom format as needed.

Thanks
Rekha

RE: How get information messages when a JobControl is used ?

From: Piter85 Piter85 <pi...@hotmail.it>>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:12:23 +0200
To: <us...@hadoop.apache.org>>

________________________________

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.

--
Bertrand Dechoux

Re: How get information messages when a JobControl is used ?

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.

--
Bertrand Dechoux

Re: How get information messages when a JobControl is used ?

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.

--
Bertrand Dechoux

Re: How get information messages when a JobControl is used ?

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.

--
Bertrand Dechoux

Re: How get information messages when a JobControl is used ?