Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/05/17 06:15:29 UTC

Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Blows Past 1M Downloads

Earlier today we hit the 1 million download mark for Apache OpenOffice
3.4.   Congratulations to the AOO project team, and thanks to all the
users who downloaded this release over the past week, and especially
to those who took the time to write and offer suggestions or report
bugs.

You can read more about our strong first week, including more
statistics and press excerpts,  in this short article:
http://www.openoffice.org/news/aoo34-1M.html

If you have not yet installed Apache OpenOffice 3.4 you can get it
here:  http://download.openoffice.org

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Blows Past 1M Downloads

Posted by Shenfeng Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
+1 Congratulations!

Posted by Liu Da Li <wa...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations !

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

2012/5/17 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> Yes.   and something we should all remember:  This 1M mark was
> achieved *without* enabling the automatic update check server.
> Normally, this would be enabled for a new release, so all users of OOo
> 3.3.0 would get a pop-up notification that AOO 3.4 is ready for them
> to download.  with 100 million existing users, the upgrade traffic for
> that would be huge.  But that server is not enabled yet.
>
> So everyone who downloaded AOO 3.4 did so on "word of mouth".  They
> heard about the AOO 3.4 update on Twitter or Facebook, or heard about
> it from a friend, or saw some coverage in the press.  The fact that we
> got 1 million downloads based on that shows that we did great work on
> the release promotion.  So good work, everyone!
>
> -Rob
>
> > Albino

We must also look at people who share pendrive, external hd and others.

Very happy for the mark 1M download! :)

Albino

Re: Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Blows Past 1M Downloads

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Posted by chengjh <ch...@apache.org>.
Great,Congratulations!!!

--

Thanks...

Best Regards!

Jim Cheng (程建宏)
IBM Lotus Symphony Development

http://www.ibm.com/software/lotus/symphony/

IBM China Software Development Laboratory,Beijing

Re: Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Blows Past 1M Downloads

Posted by Xin Li <lx...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations!

--
Best regards,
Xin Li   李欣

Re: Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Blows Past 1M Downloads

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Michael Meeks <mi...@suse.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 12:52 +0800, Yue Helen wrote:
>> Woooo...a great milestone! Congratulations!
>> BTW, is there a page/tool we can get the latest download number?
>
>        Sure - it's public on the sourceforge page; it's also filter-able, so
> you can easily see the download number for eg. the first week, by
> searching from the release date until one week later:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/stats/timeline?dates=2012-05-08+to+2012-05-14

If only it were that simple.   But it is a bit more complicated then
that, since the SF numbers are UTC and we released mid-day on the 8th,
but were also offering downloads on the 7th.

That URL is also not distinguishing downloads of language packs and
downloads of full installs.  It munges stuff together.  The one
million number is for downloads of full installs, not including the
other stuff.

You also need to account for the data feed being delay.  For example,
it is currently 9 hours behind, but this varies.

Since the full installs are scattered through several directories, and
inter-mixed with hash files, the only way I've been able to get an
accurate count of the downloads is to use the SourceForge REST API to
query stats for each of the installs separately and then add them up.
This is easy to automate in the language of your choice.

-Rob

Posted by Michael Meeks <mi...@suse.com>.

Posted by Yue Helen <he...@gmail.com>.
Woooo...a great milestone! Congratulations!

BTW, is there a page/tool we can get the latest download number?

Helen

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 17 May 2012 16:44:33 +1200
brenbern <br...@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> Have tried installing but it crashes, reinstalled many times, downloaded
> anew, still crashes.
> Read forum, tried Hagar's userprofile change, unsuccessful.
> Will await improvement,
> Cheers, Bern
>
> On 17/05/2012 4:15 p.m., Rob Weir wrote:
> > Earlier today we hit the 1 million download mark for Apache OpenOffice
> > 3.4.   Congratulations to the AOO project team, and thanks to all the
> > users who downloaded this release over the past week, and especially
> > to those who took the time to write and offer suggestions or report
> > bugs.
> >
> > You can read more about our strong first week, including more
> > statistics and press excerpts,  in this short article:
> > http://www.openoffice.org/news/aoo34-1M.html
> >
> > If you have not yet installed Apache OpenOffice 3.4 you can get it
> > here:  http://download.openoffice.org

Without information as to your operating system and crash symptoms it is difficult to proffer any advice. Every person's computer is differently configured andstrage things can cause crashes.  If you have an active virus scanner or backup system, when that touches OpenOffice files in use, there can be a crash.  If you are interested in getting AOO 3.4 running on your computer, I suggest you post to the Forum at
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum
where we will try to help.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Blows Past 1M Downloads

Posted by brenbern <br...@orcon.net.nz>.