Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/24 00:06:40 UTC

[WWD] Chap 3 and 4 submitted for review

I've submitted Chapters 1 and 2 of the Work With Derby [WWD] document
for feedback.
The latest revision of Working With Derby has been posted to Jira.  It
can be downloaded using:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12324531/WWDpdfNjava0323.zip

This contains the newly completed chapters 3 and 4.  Please focus first
on the initial review of these chapters.  The PDF file and related JAVA
code are contained in the file:  WWDpdfNjava0323.zip

The revisions of chapters 1 and 2 are also included.  This is their
second review since restructuring the scope of the project and contain
modifications based on information from the first review.  Please review
and comment on these revisions as time allows.

Format Change Note:
Chapters 1 - 4 contain a structural change to the Basic Activity Format
proposed.  Feedback received  (i.e. 'I keep jumping back and forth')
indicated that the Basic Activity Format (Item 1 on the 'Feedback
Requested' list) was not the best way to present this material.  The new
format has  the descriptive text interspersed with the command and
output examples.  The new activity format is step description followed
by example then the next-step description followed by example, etc.

Some other changes that have been made besides correcting typOs and
syntax errors:

A short section describing each activity was added to Ch 1.

The toursDB.sql script with the anticipated path has replaced
'something.sql' as the script that is loaded in Activity 1.

References to 10.1 were updated to 10.2

The introduction is now warmer and more inviting.  If you can think of
other eloquent words I might add, please let me know (I do not stand out
when it comes to being eloquent).

The introduction of  shutdown=true was moved to Activity 3.

user input from output in the examples - for long command sequences
(e.g. running WwdEmbedded) the input is in bold.

Computer malfunction (was Re: [WWD] Chap 3 and 4 submitted for review)

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
yeradis wrote:
> because it do nothing, simple dont work, my windows do what he want :-p
> i'm investigating my windows if my windows is seek ...

It does sound like your computer might be sick (infected), Yeradis.
I did a quick search for "free antivirus software" and came up with these:

http://www.free-av.com/
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

Ff course, one should always be careful about downloading any free
software, but it's a good idea to run antivirus software.

regards,

 -jean

p.s.  The "..." is like the "SNIP" you noticed in Stan's email.  It's a
way to respond to just the parts of a post you want to, and shorten the
post to make it easy for everyone to quickly read.

Re: [WWD] Chap 3 and 4 submitted for review

Posted by yeradis <ye...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stanley thanks for your sugerence
thatsss the problem
in windows starting from windows 2kx the console shell is cmd.exe
in 2k3 too i follow all steps and my windows tell me 'fuck you' jajajaaja
:-p
because it do nothing, simple dont work, my windows do what he want :-p

the SET command for the command promt of the console work since
version 6.2of msdos if my mind is no broken ;-)
i supposed when i read the derby reference that eill work but not work :-(
i use the derby because i named Yeradis :-p (i said this for dont use other
words that might be offensive :-p )
i use it like you read because i used other way a little hard way compared
with the suggested in the setup of derby

i'm investigating my windows if my windows is seek i will kill him :-p ;-)
and bill gates too for give me a sekk version of windows :-p

thanks stanley for your words and yours work

an observation : is no a bit complicated the new desing of the new chapter??
, i mean the new that using the external file , i mean switchinf from a side
to another, can be incrusted , put the code in the same doc ??? a lines of
what you write

for example

1   #include iostream.h
2   void main (void)
3{
4   cout << "Hello world";
5}

2 - the main function is needed in all programs , here ocurrs the execution
of the code
4  - here we send a message to the console output and the it is printed on
the screen

i refer to this , with the code inside document, i saw the code and it is a
lot of lines
but i think that can be included only the lines that your are interested in
show and explain
and attach the entire code in an Anexo or appendix , i dont know how is
called this section in english books , articles sorry

i hope that you can understandme with a tried to say :-(

thanks again stanley and follow this great jod your are doing

Posted by Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com>.

Posted by yeradis <ye...@gmail.com>.
ah , ok Jeff
the problem is that in other forum i express with no intention to offend
anybody
but my little english and the way i join the words offend to they

and i try to explain that here , no is my intention to offend anybody
the problem is with my english :-(
really the problem is there ae many languages in my head :-(
and i need a better database to store all that information :-P

and i think like you , stanley will catch our feedbacks and will do
something really helpfull to all us
we do not need to aprove what he does , be he will be not free about
criteria on what is he doing :-p

sorry stanley you know that when we do something not only for us , the other
people always will give what they think
i think this is the best
this is a mark that say that our work is appreciated in some way ;-)

thanks to you Jeff and thanks for you to0 Stanley

Posted by Jeff Levitt <de...@mylevita.com>.

--- yeradis <ye...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> and 4.  Please focus
> > > first
> PDF file and related
> > > JAVA
> WWDpdfNjava0323.zip

> I do not see a chapter
> > > 4.  I see an Intro,
> chapters 3 and 4 correspond
> > > to Activity 2 and Activity

> would be is to check the
> > > command line parameter
> "made a wish" for
> > > something that was over
> not too user friendly.

> they happened to be new to
> > > Java too) to
> they made this same
> > > error.

> > > Hi Susan -
> > > Sorry, I thought DITA would label chapters
> *OOPS* - what I submitted is
> > > the next two sections (sections 3 and 4) that
=== message truncated ===

Re: [WWD] Chap 3 and 4 submitted for review

Posted by yeradis <ye...@gmail.com>.

Posted by yeradis <ye...@gmail.com>.
hi stanley , GREAT JOB

Posted by Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com>.

Posted by yeradis <ye...@gmail.com>.
thanks jhon by your words about the meaning of SNIP

Posted by John Embretsen <Jo...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by yeradis <ye...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Levitt <de...@mylevita.com>.