Posted to user@juddi.apache.org by la...@new-era-of-networks.com on 2002/11/20 12:01:13 UTC

[juddi-Users] Exception Handling

I could use a little help understanding the flow of exception handling. I
have seen several cases where a JUDDIException is thrown:

(i.e. AddressLineTable.delete() -

    if (businessKey == null)
      throw new JUDDIException("attempt to delete a Collection of
AddressLine instances using a null BusinessKey");
)

It also appears that many methods of JDBCDataStore have the following catch
block:

    catch(java.sql.SQLException sqlex)
    {
      throw new JUDDIException(sqlex);
    }

It looks to me like the JUDDIException is caught by the RequestHandler and
converted to a UDDIException. For the two cases listed above it doesn't
look as though any exception information is inserted into a UDDIException
(i.e. faultcode=null,faultactor=null,faultstring=null,detail=null).

Are these types of exceptions only to be logged? What should the user
response be to an empty UDDIException?

Thanks,

Lance Waterman
Sybase -eBD

RE: [juddi-Users] Exception Handling

Posted by Steve Viens <st...@inflexionpoint.com>.
Lance,

The 'null' checks that you have mentioned below will be removed shortly.
Data validation of this type was determined to be unnecessary and
redundant within the XxxxTable classes. Validation of this type should
be handled in the Service DataStore implementations.

Some attention needs to be given to the exception handling and reporting
process. The reason the JDBCDataStore converts SQLExceptions to
JUDDIExceptions is because the DataStore interface only throws
JUDDIExceptions (because future implementations of the DataStore
interface may not use JDBC)

Steve