Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by cbeams <cb...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/17 07:18:04 UTC

Who is responsible for JDOCentral.com?

http://jdocentral.com has been broken for months...  Does anybody on
this list know who is responsible for it?  It would be good to get it
back up, or properly taken down.

- Chris Beams

Re: Who is responsible for JDOCentral.com?

Posted by Michelle Caisse <Mi...@Sun.COM>.
I would be happy to update the web site if people provide the material.
As Craig and Andy have suggested, we can add links or pages to
Community/Documentation and we can add to Community/Mailing Lists.

BTW, the Implementations page http://db.apache.org/jdo/impls.html was
based on material from JDOCentral.

-- Michelle

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Andy,

I agree that the combination of Apache JDO home site plus JPOX site
is most of what JDOCentral provided.

 From the behavior of the web site, the domain is still active but

Posted by cbeams <cb...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 18, 2007, at 9:52 AM, Andy Jefferson wrote:

> Perhaps you could define what more you mean with "keep JDOCentral
> alive"?

All that really matters to me is that when folks click this link,
they don't get:

	"Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)"

I believe this is important, because jdocentral is one of the most
linked-to resources for JDO out there.  If I were new to the
technology and I clicked that link, I'd think: "this doesn't bode well".

It would be simple enough to just put up a redirect on the jdocentral
homepage that sends the user to Apache JDO (echoing Craig's earlier
response).

- Chris

Re: Who is responsible for JDOCentral.com?

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@jpox.org>.

Posted by cbeams <cb...@gmail.com>.
David,

Thanks for your response.  While I certainly can't speak for everyone
involved, I've included my thoughts below.

- Chris

On Sep 17, 2007, at 3:31 PM, David Jordan wrote:

> I forwarded your email to Dirk Bartels, who started JDOCentral and
> hosted the service.

Thanks, much appreciated.

> The JDO vendors dropped the funding to keep JDOCentral alive, a
> mistake in my opinion.

Interesting.  Was there a news item to this effect?  How do you know
that?

> What is the status of JDO in the marketplace now?

Kodo was purchased by BEA (which you probably know) and while it
advertises full JDO 2.0 compliance, it seems to have a branding focus
on JPA.  Xcalia (formerly Libelis) has re-branded their JDO
implementation not so much with an emphasis on JPA, but an emphasis
on enterprise-wide persistence abstraction and orchestration.  (think
object-relational + object-to-xml + object-to-service mappings).  In
the open source end of things, JPOX is going strong, leading the way
as a reference implementation & keeping quite up-to-date with JDO 2.1
preview features, etc.

> What is the status of JPA in the marketplace?

Kodo, Glassfish, and OpenJPA and JPOX seem to be the most important/
visible implementations.  There are lots of news articles & buzz-in-
general around JPA.  It seems to be generally chipper, "I just
implemented Hello, World, in JPA" kind of stuff.

> Has JPA lived up to all its hype and promise from the EJB community
> and Sun?

I think it's safe to say the jury is out, but one indicator of
success may be that folks have generally 'accepted' it.  There's not
(yet) been a lot of criticism that I've seen toward JPA (the fact
that Hibernate now implements the JPA API may have a lot to do with
this).  The JDO community is quick to point out that JPA is a
functional subset of JDO, but this remains to go largely unknown in
the Java development community.  It would be nice to have a Bruce
Tate or Ted Neward step up and point out that JPA is reinventing the
wheel, but that hasn't happened as yet.  Again, the fact that
Hibernate is aligned with JPA is just a huge factor, IMHO.

> I am not working with either technology now, I am doing other
> things, but I sure have not seen much impact from JPA in terms of
> adoption.
> All I have seen is use of Hibernate, often misuse of Hibernate.

As with any technology, right? ;-)

> Is the JDO vendor community still serious about JDO?
> If so, I think they should fund to keep JDOCentral alive...

I'd like to see the same.

Other comments, anyone?

Posted by Awais Bajwa <aw...@gmail.com>.
Just to add my observation, I have seen few posts in some forums saying that
JDO is not continued actively and jdocentral.com was referenced. That is
misleading to the User/Developer community.
I would suggest the responsible people to take necessary action to make this
site UP on ASAP basis.

Awais Bajwa

--

Awais Bajwa
Java Evangelist
Member Java Cummunity Process
http://www.jcp.org/en/press/news/commFocus04-05bajwa

Re: Who is responsible for JDOCentral.com?

Posted by David Jordan <da...@bellsouth.net>.