Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Anthony Diodato <ad...@p21.com> on 2002/05/01 14:45:49 UTC

Tomcat & Cocoon Question

Im using Cocoon 1.8.2 and Tomcat 3.2.4. IIS 5.0 as my Webserver.
I have Tomcat processing my Cocoon xml, and IIS doing all of the static
pages.

My problem is this.

If I go to http://foo.bar.com/index.xml it works fine, but if I go to
http://foo.bar.com/ it gives me a directory listing of what is in that
directory.
Id like for it to default to the index.xml file.

Can this be done??

Thanks
Anthony Diodato

Anthony Diodato
Webmaster - IT
Prophet 21, Inc.
19 West College Avenue
Yardley, PA 19067
1-800-776-7438, ext. 4600
Fax: 215-321-8014
adiodato@p21.com
http://www.p21.com/
Prophet 21 -- Powering the Distribution Industry for the Digital Age

For the latest press releases from Prophet 21 --
http://www.p21.com/press/press.html
*	2/12/2001 - Trading Partner Connect Offers Enterprise-to-Enterprise
(E2E) Commerce
*	2/9/2001 -- Prophet 21 CommerceCenter 8.0 is Now Available
*	2/9/2001 -- Prophet 21 Upgrades and Enhances Prophet 21 Acclaim
For the latest articles on Prophet 21
http://www.manufacturing.net/magazine/id/archives/2001/ind010.02/techupdate.
htm
http://www.manufacturing.net/magazine/id/develop/techmain01.1.htm
http://www.manufacturing.net/magazine/id/archives/2000/ind1201/news.htm

Visit our website at http://www.p21.com/visit
The information in this e-mail is confidential and may contain legally
privileged information.  It is intended solely for the person or entity to
which it is addressed.  Access to this e-mail by anyone else is
unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution, action taken, or action omitted to be taken in
reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you received this
e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.

Re: Tomcat & Cocoon Question

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Sure,

Add the following to your web.xml...

<welcome-file-list>
         <welcome-file>index.xml</welcome-file>
         <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
         <welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
         <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>

At least you can do that in the Servlet 2.3 spec.  I would suggest
upgrading to Tomcat 4.x.x anyway.

Jake

At 08:45 AM 5/1/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Im using Cocoon 1.8.2 and Tomcat 3.2.4. IIS 5.0 as my Webserver.
>I have Tomcat processing my Cocoon xml, and IIS doing all of the static
>pages.
>
>My problem is this.
>
>If I go to http://foo.bar.com/index.xml it works fine, but if I go to
>http://foo.bar.com/ it gives me a directory listing of what is in that
>directory.
>Id like for it to default to the index.xml file.
>
>Can this be done??
>
>Thanks
>Anthony Diodato
>

>Anthony Diodato
>Webmaster - IT
>Prophet 21, Inc.
>19 West College Avenue
>Yardley, PA 19067
>1-800-776-7438, ext. 4600
>Fax: 215-321-8014
>adiodato@p21.com
>http://www.p21.com/
>Prophet 21 -- Powering the Distribution Industry for the Digital Age
>
>For the latest press releases from Prophet 21 --
>http://www.p21.com/press/press.html
>*       2/12/2001 - Trading Partner Connect Offers Enterprise-to-Enterprise
>(E2E) Commerce
>*       2/9/2001 -- Prophet 21 CommerceCenter 8.0 is Now Available
>*       2/9/2001 -- Prophet 21 Upgrades and Enhances Prophet 21 Acclaim
>For the latest articles on Prophet 21
>http://www.manufacturing.net/magazine/id/archives/2001/ind010.02/techupdate.
>htm
>http://www.manufacturing.net/magazine/id/develop/techmain01.1.htm
>http://www.manufacturing.net/magazine/id/archives/2000/ind1201/news.htm
>

>Visit our website at http://www.p21.com/visit
>The information in this e-mail is confidential and may contain legally
>privileged information.  It is intended solely for the person or entity to
>which it is addressed.  Access to this e-mail by anyone else is
>unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
>copying, distribution, action taken, or action omitted to be taken in
>reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you received this
>e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
>computer.
>

>--

Tomcat & class visibility

Posted by pe...@artfulsoftware.com.
We're trying to understand the rules governing class visibility
under Tomcat. The docs say that in the hierarchy like the one
reproduced below, classloaders can access classes beneath
them, but not beside or above them. From which it follows ...

(i) webapps can't access the XML parser in crimson/xalan.jars
without 'intervention',

(ii) putting a jar containing classes that extend servlet.jar
on the CLASSPATH won't work, because servlet.jar is above
the Application Classloader, so Tomcat has to override
CLASSPATH and the class must be in lib/common or above.

We'd like to know if this is correct or not, and whether there
are rules we've missed. Thanks for your attention.

P.

The hierarchy ...

   CATALINA_HOME
       bin
      classes
       common
        classes
        lib
       conf
       lib
      logs
       server
        classes
        lib
      webapps
        examples
          images
         jsp
         servlets
         WEB-INF
        manager
          (many dirs)
        ROOT
          WEB-INF
           classes
           lib
      work

TOMCAT_HOME/lib/container
(Server Classloader)
crimson.jar
facade22.jar          TOMCAT_HOME/.../WEB-INF/classes
jasper.jar                (Web Apps classloaders)
tomcat_modules.jar
tomcat_util.jar             TOMCAT_HOME/lib/apps
xalan.jar                    (Apps Classloader)
commons-collections.jar
commons-dbcp.jar
commons-pool.jar

   TOMCAT_HOME/lib/common
    (Common Classloader)
      connector_util.jar
      core_util.jar
      etomcat.jar
      jasper-runtime.jar
      servlet.jar
      tomcat_core.jar

   TOMCAT_HOME/lib/tomcat.jar
      (Application Classloader,
      CLASSPATH Classloader)
      User class files

   JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext
  (JDK Extensions Classloader)

RE: Tomcat & Cocoon Question

Posted by Bill Barnhill <wb...@twcny.rr.com>.
I think this can be done by setting the welcome page to be index.xml. I
think this is in web.xml, but I may have the xml file wrong. Do a find
on text welcome in the .xml files under tomcat and you should find it.

HTH,
Bill Barnhill