Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Danilo Reinert <da...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/05 06:58:26 UTC

Bug(?) at NamingContext introduced in v7.0.54

Hi community.

There's a burning issue going on in project probe-psi triggered by tomcat
7.0.54 release. The issue 411
<https://code.google.com/p/psi-probe/issues/detail?id=411> states about
NamingContext lookup that was working properly before the referred tomcat
release and since then it doesn't anymore.

I can't say it's a bug because I didn't investigate deeply, but at least it
seems a malfunction.

There's a suspect the bug was introduced in the commit 1592052
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-dev/201405.mbox/%3C20140502215212.C7AFD2388A3B@eris.apache.org%3E>
 by markt.

I really would appreciate your help guys.

Thanks.

Re: Bug(?) at NamingContext introduced in v7.0.54

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 05/03/2015 05:58, Danilo Reinert wrote:
> Hi community.
>
> There's a burning issue going on in project probe-psi triggered by tomcat
> 7.0.54 release. The issue 411
> <https://code.google.com/p/psi-probe/issues/detail?id=411> states about
> NamingContext lookup that was working properly before the referred tomcat
> release and since then it doesn't anymore.
>
> I can't say it's a bug because I didn't investigate deeply, but at least it
> seems a malfunction.
>
> There's a suspect the bug was introduced in the commit 1592052
> <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-dev/201405.mbox/%3C20140502215212.C7AFD2388A3B@eris.apache.org%3E>
>  by markt.
>
> I really would appreciate your help guys.

I don't see any evidence that this issue is related to r1592952. The
only justification for linking them appears to be that psi-probe is
having trouble with JNDI resources and that that commit has something to
do with JNDI.

Given the other JNDI related changes listed in the change log, r1592952
isn't the first place I'd look.

There have been no reports of applications not being able to look up
Global JNDI resources in the 9 months since 7.0.54 was released. That
suggests that the problem lies with how psi-probe is obtaining the
Global JNDI resources. The Tomcat developers aren't going to start
digging through psi-probe's source to figure out what isn't working.

I recommend putting together a simple test case (e.g. single JSP or
Servlet) that demonstrates the problem.

Mark