Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Michael Hyman <mh...@yahoo.com> on 2003/03/08 03:02:37 UTC

Server questions

Hi guys,

I have a dilemma that I need input on.

If you were to buy machines to be used as dedicated web servers, which would
you go with?

Option 1. A Sun SunFire 280R with 2 Ultra 3 processors and 4GB RAM. Run
Solaris 9

Option 2. PC-server with 2 ~2.8GHZ Xeon processors and 8GB RAM. Run Linux

The prices are worlds apart and I think I will get more bang for the buck
with PC.

The systems will connect to an Oracle server, via SQL*Net and server both
dynamic and static content along with providing download files up to 1GB in
size. The files will be stored locally.

What I want to understand is which machine will be faster, be able to handle
more peak loading, have a longer lifespan yet be upgradeable for a
reasonable price.

In the benchmarking we have done, we run out of Ram before CPU using Apache
1.3.27 and Mod_perl, so we will heavily load the machines with RAM.

I have years of experience with Solaris and SunOS, and little with Linux,
but the learning curve seems small and easily handled. It seems to me that
Linux is more customizable than Solaris, but then Solaris comes pretty well
tuned and does not always need much tweaking.

Apache and all of our software components support both Solaris and Linux, so
we can go either way as far as that goes.

I think it comes down to a simple formula of which option gets us the most
peak and sustained performance for the least amount of money.

So, I am looking for some input as to which way you might go in my
positions.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Regards...Michael

Re: Server questions

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
Michael Hyman wrote:
> I am not familiar with clustering....
>
> Would you run a mod_perl based web site on a cluster? Isn't the point of a
> cluster to make a group of machines appear to be one? If so, how is that
> beneficial for web services?

All large web sites run on multiple servers, for redundancy and
performance reasons.  You put a load-balancer of some kind in front of
them so that the group of machines has a single URL from the outside
world.  This is called clustering.

I believe you'll be just fine with either Sun or PC hardware.  Large
sites -- including huge ones like Yahoo, Amazon, and AOL -- usually
prefer PC hardware these days because of the value they get for their money.

- Perrin

Re: Server questions

Posted by Dzuy Nguyen <dz...@infinity-studios.com>.
Absolutely.  In this case, the cluster actually acts like a load balancing solution.

Re: Server questions

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Michael Hyman wrote:

> I am not familiar with clustering....
>
> Would you run a mod_perl based web site on a cluster?

If the performance and the money for the hardware are issues then
perhaps before you buy you should spend some time looking into things
like alternative system architectures, software packages, development
methods, timescales and *those* costs...

There's a lot more to it than "what's the fastest machine".  Apache
isn't the fastest Web server on the planet and coding it in Perl isn't
the fastest way of implementing an algorithm.  Asking for data from
Oracle won't usually be the fastest way to get hold of it - especially
if the machine running Oracle is remote.  On the same hardware, you
might get ten times the performance from a well-tuned proxy server
setup than you can from a single mod_perl server.  And you might not.

Put all those things into a system and the difference between Solaris
and Linux or between PC and Sparc may well be lost in the noise.

And if you don't have a pretty good idea of where you're going with it
all before you set out, then you might not get there.  Have you any
metrics for the kinds of loads you expect to meet, and the parts of
the system which will use most resources to sustain them?  Do you know
what performance you can expect from the database under the expected
load conditions?  Is any of this under your control?

73,
Ged.

Re: Server questions

Re: Server questions