Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2013/05/07 20:34:14 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release clean-up (delete ALL the branches!)

Devs,

We're switching over to time-based releases.

I took a moment to review our existing release branches today, and I have
prepared a list of recommendations for you. Please review these and give me
feedback.

By "drop support" I mean "make official" and while this is ostensibly the
case for a few of these, what I _really_ mean is "delete the branch". I see
no reason to keep this stuff around. It would make my life a lot easier if
we could clean this stuff up.

I'm not a Git expert, so I am relying on someone to sanity check this.
Remember: if we ever want to patch up a security issue in an unsupported
release, we will be issuing a patch. So I am assuming what we'll want to do
is patch against the last tag for that release line. No need for the branch
at all as far as I can tell.

If nobody objects in 72 hours, I will assume lazy consensus and proceed.

## 0.10.x line and before

Really old stuff.

Recommendation:

 * Drop support of these release lines
 * Delete the branches

## 0.11.x line

First release: March 2010 (three years old)

Unreleased changes:

  * Fix for frequently edited documents in multi-master deployments being
    duplicated in _changes and _all_docs.

Recommendation:

 * Do not release these changes
 * Drop support of this release line
 * Delete the branch

## 1.0.x line

First release: July 2010 (three years old)

No unreleased changes.

Recommendation:

 * Drop support of this release line
 * Delete the branch

## 1.1.x line

First release: July 2011 (two years old)

No unreleased changes.

Recommendation:

 * Drop support of this release line
 * Delete the branch

## 1.2.x line

First release: April 2012 (one year old)

No unreleased changes.

1.3.x line is backwards compatible with 1.2.x.

Recommendation:

 * Drop support of this release line
 * Delete the branch

## 1.3.x line

First release: April 2013 (one month old)

Unreleased changes:

 * Whatever bugfixes are on master or in branches right now.

Recommendation:

 * Release 1.3.1 this month.

NS

Re: [DISCUSS] Release clean-up (delete ALL the branches!)

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Ah, well. Who cares, right? Just a bit more entropy for the Universe to
suck up.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Thanks Alex. These should point to tags. I'll update them.

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On May 21, 2013, at 18:30 , Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:

> I don't want that either. Let's roll with the punches here and see what
> happens. If people ask us what the situation is, we say the recommended
> upgrade path is 1.2.2 -> 1.3.x. If we run into problems with that, lets
> deal with it at that point. One option is to release actual patches that
> you can apply to the 1.2.2 tag. Or we could just do another release.
>
> And yep, I updated that page to better reflect the discussion around the
> roadmap process. [1] This moves our support plan to one that is both time
> based and centred around major release lines. This works well with semver.
> The promise is that every major version is supported (i.e. we add features
> and bug fixes) for 12 months. That is easy to understand.

I understand all that, I just don’t like the idea that we change rules
from under a release that we did promise at release time to support for
12 months.

> Note also how great this is for our release procedure. Before we've been
> running 1.1.x, and 1.2.x at the same time. Not for any particular reason.
> Just because. We were doing it even if there were no breaking changes!
> Nonsensical. Dale's original email was so great. I can't believe I never
> realised this before in the half a decade I've been cutting releases. Heh.

Yes, and going forward that is all great, but the differences between 1.2.x
and 1.3.x may warrant a new major version under the new regime (which again
I do support), I just don’t like new rules applied to old releases.

> For 1.2.x and older lines, I went through them one by one in the original
> email in this thread, to see a) how old they were and b) what the upgrade
> path was. Based on that work, 1.1.x is two years old, so I suggested we
> drop it. And 1.2.x is both one year old, and has an (though it seems this
> isn't as clear cut as we thought) upgrade path to 1.3.x.

Yes, and that makes the least sense to me. At the time of the release of
1.2.2 we stated that we support that release for 12 months earlier *this*
year. So if we are looking at a transition, and if we were wanting to try
to not break any promises we made just a few months ago, I’d look at the
*latest* release in a particular line and nuke everything older than 12
months (now that’d include the 1.1.x line, but I’d be in favour of
retiring that, as the last fix was as security fix).

This whole argument reads to me like deciding that a tax rate of 50% is
raised to 75% retroactively to five years ago and all individuals and
businesses need to pay the missing 25% retroactively. I understand that
there are some backdating situations in the real world, but they are
rarely as substantial. All I am in favour of is using the 75% tax
*from now on*, so everyone can adjust their accounting accordingly.

[...]

Jan

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On May 21, 2013, at 15:20 , Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:

> This was discussed in the following thread:
>
> "[DISCUSS] Simplify active release branches (Was: Re: [DISCUSS] Git
> workflow)"

Again, I missed this and the vote due to vacation and I only skimmed
the thread in catch-up mode.

> — http://markmail.org/message/5edirnhli43g7lt6
>
> At the start of this thread, I put forward my rationale for dropping
> support for 1.2.x (namely, that 1.3.x should be forwards compatible with
> 1.2.x), and nobody objected.

I formally object now.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Yep!

http://archive.apache.org/dist/couchdb/

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Thanks guys.

Posted by Ryan Ramage <ry...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Wendall Cada <we...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Joan,

1.2.x is forwards-compatible with 1.3.x, so there is no reason to keep it
around.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Joan, agreed! We'd want to support the 1.x line for 12 months, I think.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.