Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Josh Foure <us...@yahoo.com> on 2007/07/05 17:48:58 UTC

Castor Support

Hi all,

We use Castor with XFire 1.2.6 and are considering migrating to CXF (we are still on Java 1.4 so we would need to use the retrotranslator).  On the CXF homepage I see that the data bindings supported include Castor ("Data bindings: JAXB 2.0, XML Beans, Castor, and JiBX") however, I can't find any documentation on using Castor in the user guide and a quick search through the CXF source code fails to return any code with the word "castor" in it.

So my questions are: is Castor supported or going to be supported in CXF?  If so, is there any documentation on how to migrate?  If not, is there any plan on supporting it in the future or a migration strategy?

Thank you,
Josh

Re: Castor Support

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Hi Josh,

That page is in error. I think someone put that down as "Goals". The Castor
and XMLBeans support will be added in for CXF 2.1. Most of the code is
already there, I just need to port the Castor-Aegis code. Unless there is a
feature that you're looking to take advantage of in CXF that isn't in XFire,
I would suggest continuing to use XFire - especially since you're on 1.4.
You can then revisit when we do 2.1. Or if you're really keen on using XFire
I can give you some points on migrating the Castor code to CXF. It really is
not all that complex... :-)

Cheers,
- Dan

On 7/5/07, Josh Foure <us...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We use Castor with XFire 1.2.6 and are considering migrating to CXF (we
> are still on Java 1.4 so we would need to use the retrotranslator).  On
> the CXF homepage I see that the data bindings supported include Castor
> ("Data bindings: JAXB 2.0, XML Beans, Castor, and JiBX") however, I can't
> find any documentation on using Castor in the user guide and a quick search
> through the CXF source code fails to return any code with the word "castor"
> in it.
>
> So my questions are: is Castor supported or going to be supported in
> CXF?  If so, is there any documentation on how to migrate?  If not, is there
> any plan on supporting it in the future or a migration strategy?
>
> Thank you,
> Josh

> Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all
> the tools to get online.

Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions