Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@galois.collab.net> on 2000/07/13 19:32:30 UTC

get ready to wipe out your subversion/apr/ directory again

I'm going to have to reimport all of subversion/apr/ again; I'll let
you know when it's ready for update.

For future reference, lest there is any doubt:

    Please, *never* commit a change to any file inside
    subversion/apr/, except for README.svn.

The best way to keep a vendor branch in sync is to always upgrade it
by re-importing; especially given that we have commit access on the
vendor's tree (via Greg Stein), there is no reason for us ever to make
local changes and then do vendor<-->local merges.  However, having it
on a vendor branch is good because if we ever _do_ need to diverge,
even temporarily, we will already be on a vendor branch.

But all of this will fall apart if we commit changes in
subversion/apr/ that overlap with changes in apache/apr, which is
what's been going on.  Don't Do It.  It's Bad. :-)

Thank you,
-Karl

Re: get ready to wipe out your subversion/apr/ directory again

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@galois.collab.net>.
Marc van Woerkom <va...@netcologne.de> writes:
> Karl, is it not useful to enforce this by some script hooked
> into cvs?
>
> I believe FreeBSD's commitcheck
>
>     http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/CVSROOT/
>
> does similiar enforcements.

Thanks, if the situation comes up again I'll take a look.

Since our copy of apr/ is now rooted in its own repository, there's no
need for this rule anymore, though.  If you have commit access, then
commit. :-)

Re: get ready to wipe out your subversion/apr/ directory again

Posted by Marc van Woerkom <va...@netcologne.de>.
> For future reference, lest there is any doubt:
>
>     Please, *never* commit a change to any file inside
>     subversion/apr/, except for README.svn.

Karl, is it not useful to enforce this by some script hooked
into cvs?

I believe FreeBSD's commitcheck

    http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/CVSROOT/

does similiar enforcements.

Regards,
Marc

Re: get ready to wipe out your subversion/apr/ directory again

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@galois.collab.net>.
Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:
> [ as Greg sits meekly in the corner for missing Karl's warning against
>   checking in, then going and doing it... ]

Greg is too polite to mention this above, but he gets a *lot* of email
and so didn't see my warning in time.  He is hereby forgiven but not
forgotten... wait, no, that doesn't make any sense...

-Karl

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/