Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by helt <he...@outlook.com> on 2013/10/04 21:49:49 UTC

solr configuration templates when creating new cores on the fly?

Hi,

im playing around with solr 4.4. Just started it and tried to create new
cores. First hurdle was the fact that no solrconfig.xml and no schema.xml
were found in the classpath. So I copied and configured into
example/resources, because that directory is in the classpath.

Now I am able to create cores, but new cores don't have their own config
file. Is this intended behavior? I haven't found much documentation for
these features.

I think I miss something basic here. Is it really normal, that no
configuration files are being created when creating cores? But if I change
configuration properties, where are they going to be stored?

Any hints are welcome!

Best

Hendrik

AW: solr configuration templates when creating new cores on the fly?

Posted by helt <he...@outlook.com>.
> > Now I am able to create cores, but new cores don't have their own
> > config file. Is this intended behavior? I haven't found much
> > documentation for these features.
> >
> > I think I miss something basic here. Is it really normal, that no
> > configuration files are being created when creating cores? But if I
> > change configuration properties, where are they going to be stored?
>
> The CoreAdmin CREATE action has never created config files.  It assumes
that
> the config files are already present in ${instanceDir}/conf and will fail
if config
> files are not found.

So I should somehow place those files in the ${instanceDir}/conf before I do
the CoreAdmin CREATE if I stick with solr instead of solrcloud... this leads
to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-791

> The default value for dataDir is ${instanceDir}/data.  By having the
config files
> in your classpath, those will be used if they are not found in the
standard
> location.  It is a little bit unusual to have the config files on the
classpath -
> usually they are in the core's conf directory.
>
> With SolrCloud, the situation is different.  In zookeeper, the collection
name
> is associated with a config name, and you can't have a cloud-related core
that
> isn't associated with a collection.  The named config must also be in
> zookeeper.

In a solrcloud setup, I am still required to create the configuration files
myself, right? So it wont be easier to create cores anyway?

Thank you ,
Hendrik

Re: solr configuration templates when creating new cores on the fly?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 10/4/2013 1:49 PM, helt wrote:
> Now I am able to create cores, but new cores don't have their own config
> file. Is this intended behavior? I haven't found much documentation for
> these features.
>
> I think I miss something basic here. Is it really normal, that no
> configuration files are being created when creating cores? But if I change
> configuration properties, where are they going to be stored?

The CoreAdmin CREATE action has never created config files.  It assumes
that the config files are already present in ${instanceDir}/conf and
will fail if config files are not found.

The default value for dataDir is ${instanceDir}/data.  By having the
config files in your classpath, those will be used if they are not found
in the standard location.  It is a little bit unusual to have the config
files on the classpath - usually they are in the core's conf directory.

With SolrCloud, the situation is different.  In zookeeper, the
collection name is associated with a config name, and you can't have a
cloud-related core that isn't associated with a collection.  The named
config must also be in zookeeper.

Thanks,
Shawn