Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Jean-Philippe Robichaud <Je...@nuance.com> on 2007/03/14 22:12:02 UTC

Is Lucene Java trunk still stable for production code?

Hello Dear Lucene Users!

Back in the old days (well, last year) the lucene/java/trunk subversion
path was always stable enough for everyone to use into production code.
Now, with the 2.0/2.1/2.2 braches, is it still the case?

In December, I 'ported' my app to use the lucene 2.0 release.  Now, I
have another chance to upgrade the production code (this is not
happening every month!) so I would like to upgrade the lucene library
I'm using to take advantage of performance gains.  Should I just update
my svn image from lucene/java/trunk or should I take
lucene/java/branches/lucene_2_1

Thanks!

Jp

RE: Is Lucene Java trunk still stable for production code?

Posted by Jean-Philippe Robichaud <Je...@nuance.com>.
That's really wonderful.  Everything gets cleaner now.

Thanks, I mean really Thanks, for all the hard work that goes in Lucene
code + Doc + Processes + Mailing list.  Lucene is really something I
refer other as "what (open source) software development should be".

I'll go with lucene_2_1 !

Jp

Posted by Doron Cohen <DO...@il.ibm.com>.
> An index created with a formal version (major or minor), would be
readable
> (and hence upgradable) by a later version.

In fact this is not guaranteed for every "later version" - only for those
up to one major step ahead. The Wiki's statement is very accurate here:

   File formats are back-compatible between major versions.  Version X.N
   should be able to read indexes generated by any version after and
   including version X-1.0, but may-or-may-not be able to read indexes
   generated by version X-2.N.

RE: Is Lucene Java trunk still stable for production code?

Posted by Doron Cohen <DO...@il.ibm.com>.
A good reason for applications to only use formal versions (vs. trunk) is
backwards compatibility (see "BackwardsCompatibility" in Lucene Wiki).

An index created with a formal version (major or minor), would be readable
(and hence upgradable) by a later version. But for interim trunk states
this is not guaranteed. For example, version 2.2 will correctly open a 2.1
index, but it might fail to open an index created with (say) the current
trunk (in between 2.1 and 2.2).

Doron

"Jean-Philippe Robichaud" <Je...@nuance.com> wrote on
15/03/2007 06:32:47: