Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org> on 2020/02/21 18:31:11 UTC

[DISCUSS] Move Directory site from CMS/SVN to Hugo/Git

Hi Directory community,

I noticed Directory is still serving its site from SVN with help of the Apache CMS. At the Apache Celix
project we decided to move away from the CMS and move towards git for serving our website [1].
This because the CMS was introduced in 2010 and is currently not accepting any new projects. With
the move to Hugo we're sure that we still can update the site when the ASF CMS will be
decommissioned.

The master branch contains the actual website sources whereas the generated website is served
from the asf-site branch. Hugo is being used as static website generator. Content is written in
Markdown.

About a week ago I started migrating the MINA site from SVN to Git [6] and today I converted the
directory site as well. An example of Hugo its output is (for demo purposes only) available on [2].
These are the existing markdown files with a slightly changed header.

Moving to git can enlarge the visibility of how projects are functioning. Next to that, new contributors
can simply create a pull request against the website repository if they find anything they want to
improve (an 'Edit on GitHub' / 'Edit this page' button can be added as well, like this [3]).

If the community is interested in this move what I propose:
- Someone from the PMC to request a new git repository for the website (e.g. directory-site) via [4]
- Me creating the pull request from the repository I am temporarily using for the website contents [5]
to the official directory-site repository
- Create a Jenkins job to automatically build the site after changes happen on the master branch.
- When the pull request is reviewed and merged ask INFRA to move over from the current svnpubsub
to the gitpubsub approach and remove Directory from the Apache CMS.

Next to that Directory is also providing javadocs on its site. My proposal for this is to serve them from
a separate branch (e.g. mavibot-docs / apacheds-docs etc.). This way people who only want to clone
the site can clone the the master branch using --single-branch and will not be bothered with cloning
all the javadocs.

All the URLs are still the same so the SEO score is not influenced in any way.

I'd like to hear some opinions/thoughts on this :)

Best regards,
Roy

[1] https://github.com/apache/celix-site
[2] http://directory.roylenferink.nl/
[3] http://celix.apache.org/contributing/releasing.html
[4] https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/newrepo.html
[5] https://github.com/rlenferink/directory-site
[6] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r0b59c769a8b49ada59a2d7a87f068ebdd383bdc6474300774d517c64%40%3Cdev.mina.apache.org%3E

Re: [DISCUSS] Move Directory site from CMS/SVN to Hugo/Git

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.
We switched the Apache Shiro site from SVN to git a little while back. I cannot fine the original blog/doc. But it was something like this https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/git_based_websites_available

The process basically works like the SVN pub sub, but with a github repo. How you populate the repo is up to you (I’d love to move Shiro to Hugo as well, it would simplify our site build).

-Brian

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Feb 24, 2020, at 5:23 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm all in for such a move, but I would wait for MINA to be done, as I have very little time at the moment to conduct such a migration (I'm on MINA and Directory projects, so I'll benefit from what I have learned from MINA migration).

I’m also a +1 assuming the workflow for making updates (to the website) remains the same, or is hopefully simpler.

—
Shawn

Re: [DISCUSS] Move Directory site from CMS/SVN to Hugo/Git

Posted by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org>.
Hey Emmanuel,

That probably is the best idea.

- Roy