Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Gianugo Rabellino <gr...@vislink.it> on 1999/03/31 14:54:27 UTC

general/4177: URLs aren't being parsed by Rewrite and ProxyPass, apache gets them

>Number:         4177
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       URLs aren't being parsed by Rewrite and ProxyPass, apache gets them
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I'm trying to switch to Apache from a Netscape Enterprise+Netgravity setup.

I need to provide backward compatibility with the Adserver: I set up then
a Rewrite rule (but tried also with ProxyPass) so that everything
beginning with /html.ng and /event.ng is redirected to the Netscape server
listening on another port.
The problem is with URL like this one:

http://this.host/event.ng/Type=click&ProfileID=13&RunID=302&AdID=73&GroupID=3&FamilyID=3&TagValues=152.239.244.245&Redirect=http:%2F%2Fsome.host

For some strange reason Apache refuses to apply rewriting rules to this URL,
due to the "%2F" contained there (at the end): my RewriteLog (level 9) is empty and as
far as I can see there is no invocation of the Rewrite engine (nor of the Proxy
engine for that matter). All I get is a 404 from the Apache server itself. In my
logs I have this:

192.168.122.14 - - [31/Mar/1999:14:37:03 -0100] "GET /event.ng/Type=click&ProfileID=13&RunID=919&AdID=311&GroupID=3&FamilyID=1&TagValues=152.239.244.245&Redirect=http:%2F%2Fwww.some.host%2F HTTP/1.0" 404 434

while the error page shown by Apache substitutes the "%2F: with slashes:
The requested URL

/event.ng/Type=click&ProfileID=13&RunID=302&AdID=73&GroupID=3&FamilyID=3&TagValues=152.239.244.245&Redirect=http://www.some.host/
was not found on this server.

If I replace the %2F in the URL with "/" (or with any other "%" encoded
characters) everything works just fine.

I suspect this is a bug: I browsed the FAQs & documentation but couldn't
find a clue.
>How-To-Repeat:
Unfortunately our test servers are firewalled, so I can't give you an URL to
try out.