Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by "tmyers@wellsfargo.com" <TM...@wellsfargo.com> on 2015/06/15 15:28:55 UTC

Re: Discussion: JMS 2.0 API support

I would also like to see ActiveMQ support JMS 2.0.  I have run into an issue
integrating ActiveMQ with WebSphereMQ related to JMS 2.0.  The latest
WebSphereMQ client libraries version 8.0.0.2 are JMS 2.0 compliant.  The
8.0.02 version addresses security vulnerabilities and provides support for
TLS CipherSuites.  However, due to ActiveMQ not supporting JMS 2.0, I have
not found a way to implement a Camel route between ActiveMQ and WebSphereMQ
that makes use of the stronger ciphersuites.

The solution for now is to wait for IBM to release the equivalent JMS 1.1
compliant 7.5.0.6 client libraries in the next couple of months.  However,
it sounds like WebSphereMQ/ActiveMQ integration might be difficult unless
ActiveMQ supports JMS 2.0 in the future.

mickhayes wrote

*
*

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Regards
JB

On 06/15/2015 03:28 PM, tmyers@wellsfargo.com wrote:
> I would also like to see ActiveMQ support JMS 2.0.  I have run into an issue
> integrating ActiveMQ with WebSphereMQ related to JMS 2.0.  The latest
> WebSphereMQ client libraries version 8.0.0.2 are JMS 2.0 compliant.  The
> 8.0.02 version addresses security vulnerabilities and provides support for
> TLS CipherSuites.  However, due to ActiveMQ not supporting JMS 2.0, I have
> not found a way to implement a Camel route between ActiveMQ and WebSphereMQ
> that makes use of the stronger ciphersuites.
>
> The solution for now is to wait for IBM to release the equivalent JMS 1.1
> compliant 7.5.0.6 client libraries in the next couple of months.  However,
> it sounds like WebSphereMQ/ActiveMQ integration might be difficult unless
> ActiveMQ supports JMS 2.0 in the future.
>

> mickhayes wrote
>> Hi Uli,
>>
>> I support that it would be great for ActiveMQ to handle 2.0 sooner rather
>> than later.
>>
>> OpenMQ, for sure, is the reference implementation for JSR 343 (JMS 2.0),
>> so of course it supports JMS 2.0.
>>
>> On HornetQ: yes support is in since 2.4.0Final, but HornetQ and ActiveMQ
>> are
> *
>> quite different products
> *
>> .
>>
>> You can see that since July 2012, JBoss has accquired FUSEsource, but
>> still keeps both JBoss AM-Q and HornetQ.
>>
>> There are other reasons that people will chose ActiveMQ (or JBoss AMQ)
>> over HornetQ apart from the JMS 2.0 support.
>>
>> /MH

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Discussion: JMS 2.0 API support

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
[3] = it's fixed already... it should be closed as done!

[1] == [2]

The implementation of the JMS2 client api is trivial. you could
actually copy & paste it from Artemis into ActiveMQ5 as a backport.

the only issue is the subscription modes added by JMS2 that will need
some extra reference counting on the server. Shared temporary
subscriptions (that should exist as long as there are consumers) and
the shared subscriptions for topics. The last one could be implemented
with Virtual Topics underneath I believe. Any advise on how to
implement those? if that's done then it's all easy and someone would
just need to pick the task.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 5:52 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please check the following (vote up if necessary). There's obviously
> duplication.
>
> Cheers,
> Hadrian
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-5383
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-5736
> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-6455
>

> On 06/15/2015 09:28 AM, tmyers@wellsfargo.com wrote:
>>
>> I would also like to see ActiveMQ support JMS 2.0.  I have run into an
>> issue
>> integrating ActiveMQ with WebSphereMQ related to JMS 2.0.  The latest
>> WebSphereMQ client libraries version 8.0.0.2 are JMS 2.0 compliant.  The
>> 8.0.02 version addresses security vulnerabilities and provides support for
>> TLS CipherSuites.  However, due to ActiveMQ not supporting JMS 2.0, I have
>> not found a way to implement a Camel route between ActiveMQ and
>> WebSphereMQ
>> that makes use of the stronger ciphersuites.
>>
>> The solution for now is to wait for IBM to release the equivalent JMS 1.1
>> compliant 7.5.0.6 client libraries in the next couple of months.  However,
>> it sounds like WebSphereMQ/ActiveMQ integration might be difficult unless
>> ActiveMQ supports JMS 2.0 in the future.
>>

>> mickhayes wrote
>>>
>>> Hi Uli,
>>>
>>> I support that it would be great for ActiveMQ to handle 2.0 sooner rather
>>> than later.
>>>
>>> OpenMQ, for sure, is the reference implementation for JSR 343 (JMS 2.0),
>>> so of course it supports JMS 2.0.
>>>
>>> On HornetQ: yes support is in since 2.4.0Final, but HornetQ and ActiveMQ
>>> are
>>
>> *
>>>
>>> quite different products
>>
>> *
>>>
>>> .
>>>
>>> You can see that since July 2012, JBoss has accquired FUSEsource, but
>>> still keeps both JBoss AM-Q and HornetQ.
>>>
>>> There are other reasons that people will chose ActiveMQ (or JBoss AMQ)
>>> over HornetQ apart from the JMS 2.0 support.
>>>
>>> /MH
>>

>> --

Clebert Suconic
http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@jboss.com