Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com> on 2016/09/28 02:35:10 UTC

[VOTE] HADOOP-12756 - Aliyun OSS Support branch merge

Hi all,

I would like to propose a merge vote for HADOOP-12756 branch to trunk. This branch develops support for Aliyun OSS (another cloud storage) in Hadoop.

The voting starts now and will run for 7 days till Oct 5, 2016 07:00 PM PDT.

Aliyun OSS is widely used among China's cloud users, and currently it is not easy to access data in Aliyun OSS from Hadoop. The branch develops a new module hadoop-aliyun and provides support for accessing data in Aliyun OSS cloud storage, which will enable more use cases and bring better use experience for Hadoop users. Like the existing s3a support, AliyunOSSFileSystem a new implementation of FileSystem backed by Aliyun OSS is provided. During the implementation, the contributors refer to the s3a support, keeping the same coding style and project structure.

. The updated architecture document is here.
   [https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12829541/Aliyun-OSS-integration-v2.pdf]

. The merge patch that is a diff against trunk is posted here, which builds cleanly with manual testing results posted in HADOOP-13584.
   [https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12829738/HADOOP-13584.004.patch]

. The user documentation is also provided as part of the module.

HADOOP-12756 has a set of sub-tasks and they are ordered in the same sequence as they were committed to HADOOP-12756. Hopefully this will make it easier for reviewing.

What I want to emphasize is: this is a fundamental implementation aiming at guaranteeing functionality and stability. The major functionality has been running in production environments for some while. There're definitely performance optimizations that we can do like the community have done for the existing s3a and azure supports. Merging this to trunk would serve as a very good beginning for the following optimizations aligning with the related efforts together.

The new hadoop-aliyun modlue is made possible owing to many people. Thanks to the contributors Mingfei Shi, Genmao Yu and Ling Zhou; thanks to Cheng Hao, Steve Loughran, Chris Nauroth, Yi Liu, Lei (Eddy) Xu, Uma Maheswara Rao G and Allen Wittenauer for their kind reviewing and guidance. Also thanks Arpit Agarwal, Andrew Wang and Anu Engineer for the great process discussions to bring this up.

Please kindly vote. Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Kai

RE: [VOTE] HADOOP-12756 - Aliyun OSS Support branch merge

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Could I extend this a bit longer considering the PRC holiday (during Oct 1 and Oct 7)? If sounds good I'd like to have another week (next Wednesday) for this. Please advise if you'd like to think otherwise. Thanks.

Regards,
Kai

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
I'd like to conclude this vote.

+1 bindings:
Lei Xu,
Kai Zheng,
Gangumalla, Uma

+1:
Hao Cheng

No 0 and -1 votes.

The VOTE passed. I will merge the branch into trunk accordingly.

Thanks for the time reviewing the work and casting your votes. Also thanks Steve for providing the review comments in HADOOP-12756 and Genmao Yu for addressing them, doing the complete "hadoop fs" tests.

Regards,
Kai

Posted by "Cheng, Hao" <ha...@intel.com>.
That will be great helpful for developers in China, whose application are based on AliYun OSS.

+1(non-binding)

Hao

Posted by "Gangumalla, Uma" <um...@intel.com>.
+1 (binding)