Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jyothi Palvai <jp...@yahoo.com> on 2005/07/20 01:27:35 UTC

What commands to run in the Tomcat Debug Mode on Linux

Hi All,
I think I have tomcat running in debug mode on a linux, I did this by running the "catalina run debug" command but I don't know the debug commands to run to get to start Tomcat, watch the variables, put debug points etc. Thanks in advance for providing this info.
Thanks,
Jyothi

---------------------------------

Re: What commands to run in the Tomcat Debug Mode on Linux

Posted by Christoph Kutzinski <ku...@gmx.de>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:

> I'm also unsure of the difference between 'run' and 'start'.  If you just
> type 'catalina.bat' with no parameters, it prints out a usage statement that
> lists 'jpda start' but not 'run jpda'.  Since it lists both 'run -security'
> and 'start -security' separately I have to wonder if  'run jpda' is even a
> valid option.

"run jpda" does not work. But "jpda run" works fine , I use it all the
time.

Christoph

Re: What commands to run in the Tomcat Debug Mode on Linux

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Jyothi Palvai" <jp...@yahoo.com>
> But I am on a linux box and I am unable to get it to start by using the
socket.
> I set the socket to 8000 but it does not seem to work, JPDA_ADDRESS=8000
> and JPDA_TRANSPORT=dt_socket  is already set in catalina.sh,
> so I just run using catalina run jpda. And when I run tomcat it starts
> and after that nothing happens.

You're going to have to be more specific than "it does not seem to work."
What did it do, and what did you think would happen?

I'm not sure if you're expecting Tomcat to "do something" when you start it
in debug mode.  It doesn't.  It acts normally until you connect to it with
the debugger you've chosen to use.  (Which one is that?)

--
Wendy Smoak

Re: What commands to run in the Tomcat Debug Mode on Linux

Posted by Jyothi Palvai <jp...@yahoo.com>.
Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com> wrote:From: "Jyothi Palvai"
> I think I have tomcat running in debug mode on a linux, I did this by
running the
> "catalina run debug" command but I don't know the debug commands to run to
> get to start Tomcat, watch the variables, put debug points etc.

You appear to be asking how to use your debugger, which we can't answer
unless you tell us what you're using.

I use JSwat with the Tomcat, Struts and Commons source code available. All
I do is start Tomcat with 'catalina.bat jpda start'. On Windows, it
defaults to shared memory, and I see the following in the console:
Listening for transport dt_shmem at address: jdbconn

(IIRC, on Linux it defaults to the other option, involving a socket.) There
is some info here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/development.html#rd

HTH
--
Wendy Smoak

Re: What commands to run in the Tomcat Debug Mode on Linux

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Jyothi Palvai" <jp...@yahoo.com>

Posted by Jyothi Palvai <jp...@yahoo.com>.
Can anyone help, I need this info badly. Thanks in advance.
-Jyothi

http://mail.yahoo.com