Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by yo...@tampabay.rr.com on 2002/07/13 10:41:50 UTC

error message: 'user tomcat4 does not exist'

Tomcat4 was running well on my Linux PC untl I reinstalled mod_perl and tried to
install Apache.

Now when I login as su (root) and type the command:
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat4 start"

I get the message:
"Starting tomcat4: chown: 'tomcat4:tomcat4': invalid user
chown: 'tomcat4:tomcat4': invalid user
chown: 'tomcat4:tomcat4': invalid user
chown: 'tomcat4:tomcat4': invalid user
su: user tomcat4 does not exist"

This command has worked fine until I messed with mod_perl.

Any assistance on how to fix this and get the user tomcat4 back would be greatly
appreciated.

Please note the file tomcat4 exists in the directory /etc/rc.d/init.d/