Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Ryan T <br...@yahoo.com> on 2017/03/28 22:04:50 UTC

Help diagnosing camel exception

can anyone help me on diagnosing this exception?  Any hints as to how I might
proceed on fixing it?

Re: Help diagnosing camel exception

Posted by Ryan T <br...@yahoo.com>.
Sorry it took me so long to get back.  I wanted to add some more logging to
try to be more complete in defining my problem.  Below is the code:

Below here is the logs of what I am getting:
Error:

success:

In the error case I am confused to as why it skipped several nodes of the
route.  I expected that once it handled the exception it would continue to
process the rest of the nodes.  I mean the whole point of putting all the
extra logging nodes into the route was to attempt to identify the actual
node having the timeout.  But I am no closer to solving this.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Re: Help diagnosing camel exception

Posted by Ryan T <br...@yahoo.com>.
I thought about increasing the timeout limit, but the timings do not suggest
that would be the best way to handle the issue.  The reason I say that is
because the timings on 99% are with in 2 seconds.  Fact is the only time i
see them go above 2 seconds is when these timeouts occur.  This suggests to
me that it is an external pause of some sort or maybe a GC happens.
Although the GC does not quite make sense either because other processes do
not pause at the same time from what I can see.  I have had these timeouts
happen on single API calls too.  Not just the batch jobs.  It sure smells of
network issues to me.  I want to eliminate the carriers(ATT, Verizon, etc)
as it happens regardless of carrier API I am hitting.  If I were to narrow
down to what things it could be, I would say it is either network issues, a
problem in CXF(Camel), or a problem in the marshalling
JacksonXML/Json(Camel).

Re: Help diagnosing camel exception

Posted by souciance <so...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ryan

I agree with Paul. It is quit hard to troubleshoot those complicated
routes. It would be easier if you can break them into smaller and more
independent routes which can be tested easier.

I would also enable this class which is the AuditEventNotifier which will
give more detailed information about each step that is being executed.
http://camel.apache.org/eventnotifier-to-log-details-about-all-sent-exchanges.html

Essentially I think a call to MongoDB or some other third party system is
taking more than the allowed timeout value. Either increase the timeout and
see if the problem goes away or perhaps it could be worth run some sort of
a load test using JMeter to trigger those timeouts and then see exactly
which record is causing this happen.

Best
Souciance

Virusfritt.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Posted by Ryan T <br...@yahoo.com>.
I actually do have that.  If you look at the code the try catch only catches:
CxfOperationException.class,
UnknownHostException.class,
ConnectException.class,
SocketTimeoutException.class,
NoRouteToHostException.class,
Fault.class

When the TimeoutException happens it does not go into this portion of the
route.

It is going into this portion of code which is why I included both routes as
this is in the parent route.

Do you think that the error message might be more plain and/or helpful if I
moved this onException into the seda routes?  Is the fact that the
onException is in the parent route hiding important information do you
think?

Re: Help diagnosing camel exception

Posted by souciance <so...@gmail.com>.
Couldn't you use an OnException for logging and then continue? This way,
the processing doesn't step because of one error.

OnException().continued(true).to("seda:LogErrors");

Virusfritt.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Posted by Ryan T <br...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Paul Gale <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ryan,

Posted by souciance <so...@gmail.com>.
Just a quick thing, couldn't you disable all the routes and beans first and
then enable them one by one to pinpoint which one is the culprit?

Den 27 apr. 2017 6:54 em skrev "Ryan T [via Camel]" <
ml+s465427n5798424h7@n5.nabble.com>:

In the bean:jobService it may go on to hit a mongo instance.  But I'm not
sure where in the logs it led you to think it was there except that you
looked at the initial logs in the original message.  Those logs could be a
little confusing I'm sure as the original authors of the code did some
interesting routes.  I've attempted to simplify them somewhat so the
original error logs may not reflect the current code.  I would if you have
time concentrate on the reply messages that I sent most recently instead.
Sorry if it confused you.  I tried to comment in the code what things are
doing so I did not have to send you the whole code base.  The important
thing to look at now would be the recent logs I messaged along with the
code.  The TimeOutErrorProcessor is implementing some of your suggestions
for the logs that is why I included it.  I sent you two routes, but the
second one is the most interesting as that is where the time out occurs.
See "//start of problem area".  I am just not sure which node.  I'm leaning
that it is the call externally, but since it never prints some of the log
entries I am not sure.  See success log example vs failure log example.
You will see that some of the log entries that should be printing out are
not and are skipped, but then when it gets to the "saveDeviceUsageHistory'
it starts logging again.  There are stop and end log entries inside of
every Processor/Bean node entry so that I can see when it is starting and
ending a node.  You can see this by looking at the successful log.

Sorry for the novel,  I hope you can help me.  And thanks for your time.

.
NAML
<http://camel.465427.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Help diagnosing camel exception

Posted by souciance <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Not the easiest route to follow ;) But basically the log seems to say that
you are doing a synchronous action over some protocol and waiting for a
response. You fail to get the response within 30000 milliseconds so you get
a timeout exception. I suspect it is in the bean(iJobService) based on the
logs but can't confirm. Do you do any calls to third party systems in that
bean?

Best
Souciance

Posted by Ryan T <br...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by souciance <so...@gmail.com>.
Can you share your code?

Also I think it would be good to have some sort of a error handler route
where you log errors. You can log these parts to get better info where
something failed.
setHeader("CamelExceptionCaught", simple("Exception Object:
${property.CamelExceptionCaught}"))
.setHeader("CamelStacktrace", simple("${exception.stacktrace}"))
.setHeader("ExceptionMessage", simple("${exception.message}"))
.setHeader("CamelFailureEndpoint",
simple("${property.CamelFailureEndpoint}"))
.setHeader("CamelFailureRouteId", simple("${property.CamelFailureRouteId}"))

Posted by souciance <so...@gmail.com>.
According to the log you are not receiving the out message in time so it
times out.

Caused by: org.apache.camel.ExchangeTimedOutException: The OUT message
was not received within: 30000 millis.
Exchange[ID-mid1-34304-1490639453105-0-772494]