Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jason Harrop <jh...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/24 02:10:50 UTC

replace commons logging with slf4j

Any chance for FOP 2.0 of replacing commons-logging with slf4j?  Would also
need to be done in xmlgraphics commons.

In the meantime, using jcl-over-slf4j instead of commons-logging works; see
http://www.slf4j.org/legacy.html

But it be nice not to need even that.

thanks .. Jason

Re: replace commons logging with slf4j

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Jason,

Understood, but there have many other logging frameworks that supposedly
offered the same thing. Commons Logging for example can handle JDK
logging and log4j. S:F4J is newer than commons-logging, but other than
that I see no compelling reason to move to it. Before changing the
logging framework used by FOP we would want to evaluate a wide set of
logging frameworks before picking one. AFAIK, No one within the
committer team is currently looking at that.

Thanks,

Chris

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Jason,

What's the motivation for doing so? I had a quick glance at the slf4j
website and it just looks like yet another logging framework. What
problem does it solve, and what benefits does it have over commons logging?

Thanks,

Chris