Posted to user@geode.apache.org by Jakov <ja...@est.tech> on 2020/03/13 14:10:20 UTC

Difference in behavior when enabling max-threads parameter

Hi Apache Geode community,

Could you please help us understand Apache Geode /max-thread /parameter
impact on traffic latency?

We are experiencing spikes in traffic latency when we use default value
of/max-threads == 0/ but not when we set it to some value (in our case
/max-threads = 64/). In both cases we limit client/server connections to
/max-connections == 4000/. We have about a 100 clients each generating
about 10k requests. And a cluster with 20 servers and 3 locators.

Does anybody knows how /max-threads/ affect Apache Geode that could
cause major difference in latency for above cases?

Please don't hesitate to ask if you need any additional information.

BRs,

Jakov

Re: Difference in behavior when enabling max-threads parameter

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Jakov,

I'm assuming you are talking about the max-threads setting on the cache
server. When you set max-threads, it is limiting the number of threads used
for processing requests from clients. Normally, the number of threads would
grow up to max-connections, or 4000 threads in your case. If you happen to
have conserve-sockets set to false, those 4000 threads will also trigger
the creation of additional peer-to-peer sockets and threads.

So, I would guess that at some point you are ending up with too many
threads for your servers to handle. Context switching between threads
definitely adds overhead, and if some threads don't get scheduled for a
while that could definitely increase your latency.

-Dan