Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net> on 2000/09/26 21:47:13 UTC

Re: Strange "exit" error

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Ron Pero wrote:

> Am running
> In PerlRun
> $ENV{MOD_PERL} = mod_perl/1.21
> This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i386-freebsd
> It is on iserver, which has a virtual root system
> Am also running dbi.
>
> When the script calls "exit", it produces an error:
>  at /usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin/myscript.cgi line 366.
>
> line 366 is the line that contains "exit".
> There is no descriptive clue as to what the error is.
>
> This does not happen while running the script in cgi mode.
>
> I've looked in the mod_perl guide, and tried different ways of exiting
> (Apache::exit, etc), but same thing. And besides, exit should work just
> fine under PerlRun.
>
> Can anyone clue me in as to what this very cryptic error is?

it's been explained a few times in the past, i don't feel like doing it
again or searching the docs/archives.  in short, calling exit() is bad,
avoid it.  Apache::exit overrides the builtin exit() to prevent some
of the badness, but in a way that can be tripped up leading to that
warning message.  it is only a warning, if you want to get rid of it,
don't use exit().