Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Sebastian Mohr <ma...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/04 10:56:54 UTC

[VOTE] "The more designer tools exist for Apache Flex, the more attractive Apache Flex becomes"

Unfortunately, there is no interaction design tool
around that is officially supporting Apache Flex.

Please vote to approve the assumption (in the subject):

[ ] +1 I approve it
[ ] -1 I veto it

Sincerely Yours,

Sebastian Mohr
Apache Flex Developer (PPMC),
Interaction Designer & Musician
http://www.linkedin.com/in/masuland

RE: [POLL] tag (was: Re: [VOTE] "The more designer tools exist for Apache Flex, the more attractive Apache Flex becomes")

Posted by Stakesoft <ma...@stakesoft.com>.
Only about 80% of the email on this whole topic of Flex are about the DV - not enough interest maybe.

Posted by Yvon Sauvageau <ys...@yahoo.com>.
There was nothing wrong with your tone. And as you put it, there was no tone
at all.

Yvon

Posted by FORMER 03 | Robert Brendler <ro...@former03.de>.
+0
I've been using Flex for a while now and must admint I never really used
DV, because whenever I opened it, some of my custom components weren't
displayed right or manipulating an object by mouse destroyed some of my
percentage widths somewhere in the code, also dragging new components
into the right container was always a bit fiddly when you got a couple
of nested containers, I found developing components in separate small
apps and hack-build-run cycles to be actually faster than searching and
fixing changes in my code that DV left unnoticed.

Eventually I found it more productive to do the design first e.g. in
photoshop, then chop it into pieces that I convert to V and HGroups,
apply some svgs/fxgs from e.g. illustrator and that's it. I never saw
the point in purchasing and getting used to an extra piece of software
(namely catalyst), because I am just faster with the other tools.

When comparing this workflow to some other work I have done with
html-js-css and a proper inspector like firebug there are worlds in
between. You edit and refresh the browser, or even do life changes, no
compile needed. Something like resizing components in firebug by up/down
keys is what you want when playing with fluid components, but did DV
work like that without messing something up, I don't know, never got
that far. I imagine coding such functionality from scratch if Adobe does
not contribute would be quite some effort.

Throwing in some ideas ... please edit or correct if I am bullshitting
... I would go with the flash wrapper for the ide (e.g. eclipse), but
only for passing ide specific variables such as project paths and the
resizing of the wrapped application. Coding the whole layout new in java
or sth would just be way too much and add a whole new project named
"mimic the flex layout with java". Also as stated before we are
targeting flex/flash developers who are more likely to contribute than
java developers. In order to handle native drop events from other (e.g.
eclipse) views, it should be an air app that is able to pick them up.
The design view itself would just be a big empty drop-area. On occurance
of a drop event from outside, a factory would analyze the drop and
create an according element and wire it as sub-drop-area automatically.
This way it would even be a (limited) clickable dummy. Eventually a
crawler goes over the object tree and returns it formatted as mxml or
sync it as view model with other detail/property/library views through a
socket connection. Dropping in custom components would require some
dynamic library loading of the app. ... etc ... etc ...

I'd really love to contribute, but I suppose neither my employer nor my
wife will grant me enough time to do so.

Cheers,
Rob

--
_____ FORMER 03 GmbH
_____ infanteriestraße 19 haus 6

_____ robert.brendler@former03.de
_____ www.former03.de

_____ fon 089.322112.28
_____ fax 089.322112.11

_____ geschäftsführer
_____ sebastian fiedler
_____ gert zellentin

_____ handelsregister
_____ HRB München 148468

_____ steuer
_____ ust.-id DE 229107876

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

"

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/4/12 7:16 AM, "Jonathan Campos" <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> While I don't agree with the tone I do agree that I don't see a point to
> this poll. If you want a visual editor start building it. If people like it
> then it will be picked up. It's that simple.

I think it is fair for those who don't have the time or skills to build
something to ask for it.  I would prefer that this request be done in JIRA
and have folks vote for it.

Catalyst was really hard.  Something like DV is probably more possible, but
it depends on what the key requirements are.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.
> I'm not voting on this but, I understand the tension here, I would bet a
> great deal of money on the effort put into getting Adobe to release source
> code for FC or the Visual Editor of FB is never going to happen. Alex in
> his own way has hinted at this in a couple of emails.
>
> Why this thread even exists is beyond me Sabatian, didn't the thread about
> creating a visual designer that exists and was being talked about between 2
> involved committers kind of preempt this?
>
> Before anybody goes bashing me, just note I am not putting an ounce of
> hope or thought into FlashCatalyst or FlashBuilder's DesignView becoming
> Apache Flex's design view savior.
>
> In the eternal words of those that don't like to waste time, cut your
> losses and move on.

I'm afraid I agree with Mike here. Adobe has already indicated that Flash
Catalyst is EOL-ed, I really don't see any real chance that they will
change their minds...

Roland

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Flash Builder is not an Apache project. Apache Flex has very little or no say in what Adobe does with Flash Builder. While there are a few Adobe folk on this list having a poll about design view is not going to get them to add it back into Flash Builder any time soon. Sorry that's just how it is.

 It was hoped that Adobe would open source the design view but I can't see that happening. This isn't new news we've known that design view was going to be dropped from Flash Builder for more than 6 months now.

I have preferred that Adobe keep design view as it's a useful tool, but they didn't. The choice as far as I see it:
1. Come up with our own design plugin/tool
2. Use another IDE

I think a stand alone AIR designer would be possible if enough people (designers and developers) contributed.

On a similar track does anyone remember the old Flex 2/3 component explorers and style explorers, they were quite useful IMO.  Anyone know if the source code is available and has a compatible licence?

There was some talk a while back about open sourcing Tour de Flex anyone know if progress has been made here?

Thanks,
Justin

Posted by Stakesoft <ma...@stakesoft.com>.
+1 DV

Cut my losses and move on - yes quite, I agree this is just futile, we are never going to be able to dev a DV, it's just a waste of time. I'll cut my losses of over a years' worth of learning and developing dozens of commercial apps written in flex and move direction to excel plugin's or fitting kitchens maybe.

To say the rug has been pulled from under my feet and great deal of others feet is a massive understatement - a lot of us are DESIGNERS and code some stuff behind it to make it work and be cool. Adobe make design software, no DV to some is fine for some but the others is ridiculous.

This thread exists because we are gutted for the loss of the DV.

Adobe are not looking after the SDK or DV and charging the same for the IDE, very nice for them - get ready for the backfire! And get ready for FB to descend to the low status of those other non DV IDE's that nobody uses.

O look the next Dreamweaver has no design view - can you even imagine a more stupid decision.

GOODBY!

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

Posted by Charles Monteiro <ch...@gmail.com>.
Got it.

Posted by Charles Monteiro <ch...@gmail.com>.

AW: [POLL] tag (was: Re: [VOTE] "The more designer tools exist for Apache Flex, the more attractive Apache Flex becomes")

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
+1

Posted by Sebastian Mohr <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Bertrand,

Posted by Kéven Boily <kb...@tribalnova.com>.
That makes me think about Monster Debugger (http://demonsterdebugger.com/).
That's one of my favorite external tool when debugging. Of course you have
to use it in conjonction with your code, but it's a simple swc to include
and a one line init call.

The tutorial is really awesome, I suggest you try it out!
*
Kéven Boily*
Développeur
*tribalnova*