Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Avi Grossbard <av...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/01 21:28:47 UTC

CXF client program related question

Hi,
I'm looking for an easy way to create a client program that can invoke web
service dynamically without compile time code generation.
The expected web services to be invoked are of mostly from Microsoft world
(ASMX & WCF).
Note: The only assumption that I'm allowed to make is that I have a WSDL at
hand for each service to be invoked.

1. Is CXF equipped with the functionality:
1.1 To allow dynamically (no compile time generated file) invoke web service
call as mentioned above
1.2 To  interoperable successfully with WCF based web services
1.3 If the answer is, "use the JAX-WS Dispatch API", then why should I use
CXF anyway? or in other words, what are the merits of using CXF (again for
invoking web services only) relative to direct use of JAX-WS ?

2. An example (if available) that demonstrate it, will be very useful

3. If CXF client cannot inter-operate "out of the box" with WCF based
services (I assume due to the WS-* protocols), can WSIT project come to
rescue ? if so how ?
    (an example will be helpfull here too)

Re: CXF client program related question

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Mon March 2 2009 8:13:51 am Avi Grossbard wrote:
> >Should be fine as long as everything is standards-compliant.
>
> Does CXF supports the WS-*  standards that Microsoft is supporting?
>    (for instance: WS-Addressing, WS-Security, WS-Transaction,
> *WS-*Reliability etc...)

Yes to all but WS-Transaction (which isn't really recommended to use anyway,
not the best spec).

With CXF 2.2 (real soon now), we'll be adding WS-SecurityPolicy, WS-
SecureConversation, and hopefully some level WS-Trust support.

I've SPECIFICALLY targeted WCF interop for those specs and the primary tests
for those is the MS WCF public "PlugFest" endpoints at:
http://mssoapinterop.org/ilab/

As of today, all the WS-Security (policy driven instead of the older WSS4J
method shown on the wiki) tests pass, all the WS-SecureConversation tests
pass, and about a third of the WS-Trust tests pass.   I'm working on the trust
stuff now to get that in a better shape.  (some of the issues there are issues
in wss4j and some are due to the policies in the MS wsdl not matching what the
service really expects).    If you want to see what has been done so far, all
the code for the tests is at:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/sandbox/interopfest/

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: CXF client program related question

Posted by Andrew Clegg <an...@nervechannel.com>.
http://cwiki.apache.org/CXF20DOC/ws-support.html

Not sure how up to date that is, perhaps others (who actually use any
of these features) can comment :-)

--
:: http://biotext.org.uk/ ::

Re: CXF client program related question