Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org> on 2001/12/19 18:26:13 UTC

Posting guidelines?

Hi,

Currently subversions exposure isn't that big yet, so this might
not be a problem at this time.  I do sense though that there is
an increase in users and therefor user questions the last
period.  This is good.  More testers ;)

I'd like to suggest to include something on the mailinglists
advertising page that is along the lines of the Jakarta project.
See: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html for details.

A good link on there is: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Subversion is a complex project (since version control itself
can sometimes be hard to explain to someone) and therefor we
can expect questions that we cannot parse.  Maybe this could
help (a bit).

Sander

DISCLAIMER: This is not in reaction to any specific posting/
            question(s) of one specific user.  It is just a general
            observation/suggestion.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
"Sander Striker" <st...@apache.org> writes:
> I'd like to suggest to include something on the mailinglists
> advertising page that is along the lines of the Jakarta project.
> See: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html for details.
>
> A good link on there is: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Sander, I thought some more about what we tend to see on the
Subversion dev list, and realized that we don't have most of the
problems these documents were written to address.  If someday we do,
we can deal with it then.

The biggest problem we currently have is non-useful bug reports, and I
think that is best addressed with a file describing how to write a
good bug report.  Then we can just point people at that document when
necessary.

I'll do that right now.

-K

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
+1 Sander, thanks for the suggestion.

I'll look at the pages you recommend, plus a couple of similar pages
at gnu.org, and put something up.