Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by eric b <er...@free.fr> on 2011/12/04 19:14:26 UTC

Native support of the SVG graphic format in Apache OpenOffice.org

Hi,

After I tested awesome Armin's work on Mac OS X (build broken on
Windows due to gnumake issue) , I blogged about this nice feature to
come  :-)

Links :
Current blog entry : http://eric.bachard.org/news
Full link : http://eric.bachard.org/news/index.php?post/2011/12/03/In-
progress-%3A-native-support-of-the-SVG-graphic-format-in-Apache-
OpenOffice.org

Thanks in advance to spread the word !

Eric Bachard

P.S. : I got Mac Intel versions for testing purpose. Contact me in
private if you are interested. Windows build should follow, but
somebody seriously broken the build (probably yet another gnumake4 mess)

--
qɔᴉɹə
Blog : http://eric.bachard.org/news

Re: Native support of the SVG graphic format in Apache OpenOffice.org

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday 06 Dec 2011 14:09:53 Terry wrote:
> I was able to re-tweet, nothing more.  The reddit link got a page
> displaying the message "there doesn't seem to be anything here."
>
> This piecemeal approach I think is ineffective.  What would be much better
> is a 'news' page where such items as Eric Bachard's blog can be mentioned
> and linked, similar to the technique which has been used by
> tuxmachines.org for years.  I follow that site because it gathers material
> from many sources relating to subjects which interest me.
>
> Ideally, one would be able to get a news feed from such a page.  I note
> that the AOO blog is virtually dormant.  It could be an entry on a news
> page with some worthwhile material; on its own, it is not worth following.
>

> Regards, Terry

Piecemeal is indeed ineffective outside of "the choir".  In order to reach a
wider audience any announcement has to have some wow factor.  Proprietary
folks get over the "feature leak" with the vapourware concept.

So use the SVG support as a lever to get a broader message out.

Let's talk about AOO 4.0 and the features and improvements that we will be
launching with that.
We need to ask/answer a few questions: what are devs working on right now,
(other than IP clearance)?  What itches are being scratched? What are the
communities desires in terms of a feature set?  In the perfect universe, what
will be the sum of all the new features that will launch with AOO 4.0.0.?
Offer up an approx target date, say Q3 2012.

Put that together as a release so that we build anticipation and then mention
in passing that there will be a 3.4 release which will indeed have the SVG
support. Add: "Please use and send feedback." with links to the user forums.

Name names: "Armin Legrand's SVG hack" show a community that recognises it's
people's efforts.

Some will say "They'll never do it", "It's just vapour." Others will be
cheering our ambitions. Either way there will be anticipation and a
conversation..

Cheers
GL

RE: Publicity (was Native support of the SVG graphic format in Apache OpenOffice.org)

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 13:01 -0800, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Well, then there's the age-old question: "is all publicity good publicity?"
>
> I don't like paper.li much (mostly because they attribute RTs to me rather than the original tweeter), but here's publicity of a sort: <http://paper.li/baseanswers/1318559392>.
>
> That was found via Google+ to here: <http://lo-portal.us/aoo/>.  More about that here: <https://plus.google.com/?tab=XX#100933269401814278228/posts>.  And for ODF too: <http://lo-portal.us/>.
>
> And all because this fun guy is in my circles: <https://plus.google.com/?tab=XX#111286111779516013881/posts>.
>
>  - Dennis, still attempting to figure out what LO-client is and whether it has anything to do with LightsOut.

Hi Dennis,

Ah, well let's start with your last question - why the name lo-portal
and why .us on the end of it?

briefly:
Why lo-portal?
(L)ibreOffice (O)penoffice.org Portal ( a web site offering content from
multiple services, some will be local [original] and some [most at
first, perhaps always] will be aggregations of, or unique [hopefully]
views of publicly  available data).

Why the .us?
Early on, in the great openoffice.org fork of LibreOffice, one of the
OO.o community members in Germany, who historically ran a number of OO.o
focused web sites, launched lo-portal.de. I liked the name lo-portal,
and felt that I would possibly want to do something similar for the USA.
I registered the domain name (and .com BTW), then promptly sat on my
hands for the part of a year - while considering if the LO would really
stand for (L)ibre(O)ffice, to which I can say with certainty that if the
transfer to ASF had not happened it would of.

[**NOTE** there is no relationship, of any kind, between the websites
lo-portal.de and lo-portal.us. I know the owner but only in the most
cursory of ways.]

Ok - You picked up on the fact, I think, the site is taking a definite
branch approach to projects/organizations.

lo-portal.us/ just a bunch of jump points currently, but displays a data
stream focused on ODF, the standard and all the technology products
supporting it. [just a paper.il for the moment But you need to start
somwhere, yes?] This will continue to be the focus for the landing page.

lo-portal.us/aoo  {OpenOffice.org/Apache OpenOffice}

lo-portal.us/libo {LibreOffice/TDF}

Paper.il - there are three papers that I'm actively working now:
The LibreOffice Daily
The Apache OpenOffice Daily
The ODF World News

I think for details on the paper I need like to start a new thread - I
do have questions/requests for the group as a whole, and need to ask
permission I think to use the branding elements I so blithely
incorporated. ( one exception: I can't control the attribution style
used by the service, so I'll pass on discussing the specific merits of
that - though I'll send along the address you could use to contact the
people that could make a change :)

Speaking of branding elements I also need to pass the use on the
lo-portal/aoo page - which I planned to do in a response to Graham on
the AOO Logo thread - but since we are here...

For the moment let's keep this simple - I want to use an Apache
OpenOffice branding of some type on the aoo page there. For the first
two page updates I used the design I proposed for an AOO logo - as much
to give a point of reference for everyone to review as anything. So, I
would gladly change to something else, maybe the OO.o logo, maybe just
the text Apache OpenOffice(tm) or maybe something else - simply put I'll
abide by any decision from the project as to what is acceptable on third
party sites.

The first day it was just the logo, currently, my plan was to generate a
series of 'plaques' for the page, one each week for the next 4 weeks -
the plaques incorporate the branding elements for AOO and OO.o.

So the first one represents my furtherance to the idea of 'blending' the
two cultures, Apache and OO.o - what I went with was something that, to
me at least, is iconic to Native American culture, the dream catcher.

Anyway - I'll follow up on the thread on the logo with a reply to
Grahams last email.

Thanks

//drew

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 6:09 AM, Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> I suppose one's point of view is based on observation.  I spend little time on the likes of Twitter and Facebook.  I still have accounts on stumbleupon, digg and slashdot.  Are they still in the game?

Digg and Slashdot can drive big traffic.  I've had content from my
blog on Slashdot a few times, and you can easily get 50,000 - 100,000
visits from that, plus additional traffic from follow up articles.
But obviously only a small number of posts get prominent positions
there, and they tend to be ones that break news of broader interest,
are controversial, or both.  If we have a blog post that coincides
with our 3.4 release, it may have that kind of interest, especially if
we also have a good story for what we want to do in future releases as
well.

> What I see happening (because of where I look) is reporters, commentators and bloggers picking up a news item and writing about it.  Not infrequently, the first article or blog entry will be followed by a commentary by another writer.  The story gains currency by being reported or discussed on one or more of many sites which focus on software.  Such articles are also mentioned on forums.

That happens still, but Twitter and Google+ are so much easier that
many people are sharing small stories or reposting things that way
rather than writing a blog post.

Of course, this is not an exclusive either/or thing.  Many blog
platforms allow you to add "Tweet me" buttons, Google+ buttons, etc.

> A link which Dennis posted on the users' list ( http://stackoverflow.com/q/8418354 ) and the links which Rob posted recently on this list are worth publicising.  I suppose the point I wanted to make is that they are worthy of more publicity than they get on the mailing lists.  It's all very well for a few people on the lists to tweet or google+ and I don't decry efforts like that.  I would just like to see something which can be picked up by more people, meaning people involved in the project and interested observers.
>
> I replied to the question on stackoverflow by suggesting a post in the community forums.
>
> By the way, I did not intend to complain about the blog, merely to observe that in practice it is an underused asset.

An accurate observation.  So what can we do about it?

We need topics and we need authors, and maybe we need editors.

I tried to set up a wiki page to collect ideas and for people to sign
up.  The idea was to create a pipeline of blogs posts so we have a
steady stream of them.  But when I made that proposal I received
nothing but grief.  Evidently, overt attempts at coordination are
anathema at Apache.

-Rob

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
An useful low-friction case, for starters, would be use of the OOOUSER Community Wiki.  It is archived and it permits comments.

There is also the Roller aggregator.  I have been too lazy to figure out how to set up a blog category that has a separate RSS feed that goes into the aggregator, but any committer can do that and create a news stream.  That takes care of the RSS and it puts it on the Apache site in the Roller aggregation.  (I forget the correct name for that.)

Also, this moribund blog site that Terry complains about still has the second-highest number of hits among the Apache Roller blogs.  Those are coming from somewhere.

So there are many CTR opportunities here.  It still takes willing and active authors or curators or whatever they choose to be.  Both of those are lower-friction than what it takes to post on the AOOo incubator blog.  (The friction there is the draft and review process along with what it takes to be permitted to author there in the first place.  It doesn't qualify as a Naked Conversation.)

 - Dennis

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
Comments interlineated.

>>  This piecemeal approach I think is ineffective.  What would be much better
> is a 'news' page where such items as Eric Bachard's blog can be
> mentioned and linked, similar to the technique which has been used by
> tuxmachines.org for years.  I follow that site because it gathers material from
> many sources relating to subjects which interest me.
>>
>>  Ideally, one would be able to get a news feed from such a page.  I note
> that the AOO blog is virtually dormant.  It could be an entry on a news page
> with some worthwhile material; on its own, it is not worth following.
>>

> There are two parts to this:  the message and the distribution of the
> message.  For messages we can have quick, ad-hoc bits of information
> we want to get out, up to longer article length pieces.  I'd expect
> that shorter bits of information could come from anyone at any time.
>
> For distribution we have a few things:
>
> -- project blog.  This is official, but currently has almost zero
> visibility.  I'd think of it as a way of the project making
> semi-official statements, but more work would need to be done to
> direct traffic to the blog.

Quite apart from 'visibility' there is virtually no activity on the project blog.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> I was able to re-tweet, nothing more.  The reddit link got a page displaying the message "there doesn't seem to be anything here."

Hmmm... works for me.  Anyone else?

> This piecemeal approach I think is ineffective.  What would be much better is a 'news' page where such items as Eric Bachard's blog can be mentioned and linked, similar to the technique which has been used by tuxmachines.org for years.  I follow that site because it gathers material from many sources relating to subjects which interest me.
>
> Ideally, one would be able to get a news feed from such a page.  I note that the AOO blog is virtually dormant.  It could be an entry on a news page with some worthwhile material; on its own, it is not worth following.

There are two parts to this:  the message and the distribution of the
message.  For messages we can have quick, ad-hoc bits of information
we want to get out, up to longer article length pieces.  I'd expect
that shorter bits of information could come from anyone at any time.

For distribution we have a few things:

 -- project blog.  This is official, but currently has almost zero
visibility.  I'd think of it as a way of the project making
semi-official statements, but more work would need to be done to
direct traffic to the blog.

-- personal blogs, social media  -- several of us have blogs or other
means of out reach, within our person control, that have a reach that
far exceeds the project blog or our mailing lists.  I see this as a
way of amplifying the messages we want to get out.

-- semi-official social media accounts.   There are "OpenOffice"
Twitter, Facebook, Google+ accounts that are run by individuals, but
not currently under control of the PPMC.  They have a broad audience,
but are not coordinated with the rest of the project.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Blog post:  http://eric.bachard.org/news/index.php?post/2011/12/03/In-progress-%3A-native-support-of-the-SVG-graphic-format-in-Apache-OpenOffice.org

Posted by Michael Stahl <ms...@openoffice.org>.
On 04/12/11 21:27, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> Last build breaker I've seen has been found by Andrew, in ucpp. You can
> see it in a clean build, if you do build --all in ucpp.
> On the other hand, I've experienced some random crashes with cygwin's
> make, again unrelated to source code changes.

cygwin ships GNU make 3.81, which suffers from bug 20033, which is
triggered by some of the gbuild stuff if built with -jN for N>1

(ironically i think what triggers it is the response-file stuff that
writes command lines that are "too long" to temp files, which is only
needed on Windows anyway...)

iirc GNU make 3.82 has some performance regression (it stats files
unnecessarily), which is barely noticed on Unix but makes it rather slow
on Windows.

somebody from the LO community built this binary, which is said to be both
fast and crash-free, perhaps you should try it out:

http://dev-www.libreoffice.org/bin/cygwin/make

regards,
 michael

Re: Native support of the SVG graphic format in Apache OpenOffice.org

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.
Am 04.12.2011 21:27, schrieb Ariel Constenla-Haile:

> On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 07:14:26PM +0100, eric b wrote:
>> P.S. : I got Mac Intel versions for testing purpose. Contact me in
>> private if you are interested. Windows build should follow, but
>> somebody seriously broken the build (probably yet another gnumake4
>> mess)
>
> nobody has integrated anything from cws gnumake4. You can look at
> the history of solenv/gbuild files, and changes there have been rather
> small. So your build is broken due to other reasons.
>
> Last build breaker I've seen has been found by Andrew, in ucpp. You can
> see it in a clean build, if you do build --all in ucpp.
> On the other hand, I've experienced some random crashes with cygwin's
> make, again unrelated to source code changes.

The original Cygwin make is version 3.81 and has a concurrency problem.
This was fixed in make 3.82, but this version is not available on
Cygwin. Besides that, unfortunately 3.82 seems to have another bug that
is revealed by building OOo with it. So I took the 3.81 source code,
applied the bug fix for the 3.81 crash and it worked as fine as it can
on Cygwin. I had documented that in the Building Guide in the old OOo Wiki.

Regards,
Mathias

Re: Native support of the SVG graphic format in Apache OpenOffice.org

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 10:20:43PM +0100, eric b wrote:
> >>The log says :
> >>/cygdrive/e/apache_ooo/svgreplacement/main/toolkit/
> >>JunitTest_toolkit_unoapi.mk:28: *** Malformed target-specific
> >>variable definition.  Stop.
> >By the way, what switches are you using to configure?
>

> See : http://ftp.educoo.org/home/ApacheOpenOffice.org/native_svg/my_configure_windows_xp.txt
>
> Is there something wrong ?

they look ok

> >AFAIK those API tests are not built in a default build (though I
> >might be wrong).
> >

> In fact, I was close to disable these tests (I'm impatient to test
> on windows too  ;-)

dummy me ;) you are not building the tests! The error above is just make
parsing the Makefiles, not building the api test target.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Native support of the SVG graphic format in Apache OpenOffice.org

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi Ariel,

Le 4 déc. 11 à 22:08, Ariel Constenla-Haile a écrit :

> Hi Eric,
>
> On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 09:47:53PM +0100, eric b wrote:
>> The log says :
>> /cygdrive/e/apache_ooo/svgreplacement/main/toolkit/
>> JunitTest_toolkit_unoapi.mk:28: *** Malformed target-specific
>> variable definition.  Stop.
>
> I see. Sure it's a merging issue on Armin's branch, because on
> trunk that API test builds fine.

Yes, they do on trunk, so you're right.

>>> Last build breaker I've seen has been found by Andrew, in ucpp.
>>> You can see it in a clean build, if you do build --all in ucpp.
>>>

>> Sorry, do you mean  cppu ?  Looks ok so far.
>
> no, ucpp, introduced by 118568: replace license incompatible lcc with
> ucpp

Ok. So I understand why I don't have that yet in svgreplacement tree.

>>> On the other hand, I've experienced some random crashes with
>>> cygwin's make, again unrelated to source code changes.
>>>

>> We should collect such information, and maintain some wiki page :
>> Windows is 90% of our users, and we cannot fail.
>>
>> Anyway I think I really got toolkit build breaker in toolkit.
>>

>> Maybe my fault ... well ... I'll have a deeper look.
>
> looking at that line both in Armin's branch and trunk, the look alike:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/branches/alg/
> svgreplacement/main/toolkit/JunitTest_toolkit_unoapi.mk?
> revision=1205420&view=markup#l28
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/toolkit/
> JunitTest_toolkit_unoapi.mk?revision=1162288&view=markup#l28
>
> it looks like a merging issue.

No difference here too. Looking more closely, I thought it was a
TAB / space issue (gmake needs 2 tabulations, not spaces), but no,
the build is stil broken.

> By the way, what switches are you using to configure?

See : http://ftp.educoo.org/home/ApacheOpenOffice.org/native_svg/
my_configure_windows_xp.txt

Is there something wrong ?

> AFAIK those API tests are not built in a default build (though I
> might be wrong).

In fact, I was close to disable these tests (I'm impatient to test on
windows too  ;-)

Regards,
Eric

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Eric,

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/branches/alg/svgreplacement/main/toolkit/JunitTest_toolkit_unoapi.mk?revision=1205420&view=markup#l28
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/toolkit/JunitTest_toolkit_unoapi.mk?revision=1162288&view=markup#l28

it looks like a merging issue.
By the way, what switches are you using to configure? AFAIK those API

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.

On 13.12.2011 08:34, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> Hi Eric, *
>
> On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 09:47:53PM +0100, eric b wrote:
>> The log says :
>> /cygdrive/e/apache_ooo/svgreplacement/main/toolkit/
>> JunitTest_toolkit_unoapi.mk:28: *** Malformed target-specific
>> variable definition.  Stop.
>
> quite strange after updating cygwin, I'm getting the same error:
>
> cd ..&&  make  -r -j3
> /cygdrive/y/apache/trunk/main/unoxml/JunitTest_unoxml_complex.mk:28: ***
> Malformed target-specific variable definition.  Stop.
> dmake:  Error code 2, while making 'all'
>
> it only happens with the complex API test(s); singular because this is
> the only one in the whole source tree, but testing the gnumake4 - and
> some other CWS, that introduce several new complex API tests, they all
> break. Quite strange because they work ok on Linux.

Did you call configure with the --without-junit switch?

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Eric, *

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi Ariel,

Le 4 déc. 11 à 21:27, Ariel Constenla-Haile a écrit :

> On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 07:14:26PM +0100, eric b wrote:
>> P.S. : I got Mac Intel versions for testing purpose. Contact me in
>> private if you are interested. Windows build should follow, but
>> somebody seriously broken the build (probably yet another gnumake4
>> mess)
>
> nobody has integrated anything from cws gnumake4.

The log says :
/cygdrive/e/apache_ooo/svgreplacement/main/toolkit/
JunitTest_toolkit_unoapi.mk:28: *** Malformed target-specific
variable definition.  Stop.

It was perfectly building on Windows recently, excepted some
missing .tar.gz (I workarounded since)

If I can : I'm builsing on Windows since more than 2 years, and I
tested Apache OpenOffice.org since the beginning.

> You can look at the history of solenv/gbuild files, and changes
> there have been rather small. So your build is broken due to other
> reasons.

Well, I'll continue to search, but reading the log (and see dmake or
build is no longer usable), looks more to a gmake issue.

The build is not broken on Mac OS X, but is on Windows.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
	Hi Eric,

On 04.12.2011 19:14, eric b wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After I tested awesome Armin's work on Mac OS X (build broken on Windows
> due to gnumake issue) , I blogged about this nice feature to come :-)

Nice Blog :-)

> Links :
> Current blog entry : http://eric.bachard.org/news
> Full link :
> http://eric.bachard.org/news/index.php?post/2011/12/03/In-progress-%3A-native-support-of-the-SVG-graphic-format-in-Apache-OpenOffice.org
>

> Thanks in advance to spread the word !
>

> Eric Bachard
>

> P.S. : I got Mac Intel versions for testing purpose. Contact me in
> private if you are interested. Windows build should follow, but somebody
> seriously broken the build (probably yet another gnumake4 mess)

As already posted in the other thread, I had no problems to build win
version after merging with trunk and committing ca on Friday noon. My
local version is already pretty changed again due to making Writer
graphic objects using primitives for their paint to get the now
available vector graphics to all paints and exports.
Just checked if I had to do some changes to do the build to make sure
(svn diff), but no changes were needed on my side.

Sincerely,
	Armin
--
ALG