Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Thangavel Sankaranarayanan <ts...@in.ibm.com> on 2008/08/04 09:08:28 UTC

Tomcat Service is stopped automatically???

Hi,

I have a problem with tomcat 4.1.27.
Operating system is Windows2000.
I am running tomcat as a window service.

The problem is tomcat service is automatically stopped.There is no clues
found in logs and what be the best solution for it.Please suggest any good
methods other than Tomcat upgradation to higher version...

Regards,
Thangavel Sankaranarayanan

Re: Tomcat Service is stopped automatically???

Posted by Thangavel Sankaranarayanan <ts...@in.ibm.com>.
Thanks Andre ,
I will try this and get back to you. about the results :)
Regards,
Thangavel Sankaranarayanan

             André Warnier
             <aw...@ice-sa.com>
             08/04/2008 05:55          Tomcat Users List
             PM                        <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

               "Tomcat Users           Re: Tomcat Service is stopped
                   List"               automatically???
             <users@tomcat.apa
                 che.org>

Thangavel Sankaranarayanan wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks ,
>
> No information from logs(tomcat as well as applicatoin logs)
>
> System Event logs shows:
> "The Apache Tomcat Service has terminated unexpectedly.It has done this 7
> time(s).The following Corrective Action will be taken in 0
milliseconds:No
> Action"

"terminated unexpectedly" means "crashed".
That is not very useful, is it ?
At least, it eliminates one thing : that some other service or program
(or user) would have nicely asked the Tomcat service to shut down.

Have you checked the "Application" log (in the same area as the Windows
System log) ?

Apart from all that, there is another possibility, but you will have to
go check in the Windows Registry.
You can open a Windows "command window" (also called sometimes "DOS
window") and run Tomcat at the command-line, instead of as a service.
Chances are that if it crashes nastily, it will then show some error
messages on the screen.

To do this, follow these steps :

1) edit the Windows Registry with the "Registry Editor" (at the
command-level, enter "regedt32").
Be careful not to change any value, because editing the Registry is
potentially dangerous.
2) This looks like an Explorer window.  On the left side, you will see a
structure, much like a directory structure.
Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", expand it, and keep doing this
following the following path :
System..CurrentControlSet..Services..Tomcatx
3) when you click on the Tomcat key, then in the right panel you will
see a series of key/value things.
One of the keys is "ImagePath".  Double-click on it, and it will open a
dialog box.
4) Now make sure that you do not change the value. Just copy it with
CTRL-C, then cancel and exit the Registry Editor.
What you have copied, is the command.line command that starts Tomcat.
Don't lose it.

Open Notepad, and paste the command there, you will need it later.

5) next, stop the Tomcat Service if it is running.
6) next, open a command window again, and paste the command that you
have copied before.
(If the command contains a parameter like "//RS....", remove this
parameter).

When you type the return key, this command will be executed, and this
will run Tomcat in your command window.
If you type CTRL-C, Tomcat will stop.

For the users, it will be exatly the same as if Tomcat was running as a
service.  But for you, you will see on the screen any error messages
Tomcat prints.

The difference is that now Tomcat runs under the user-id under which you
are logged-in on this machine.

So, let it run until it dies, and let's see if you get any error message.

Note that you cannot logoff from the machine, or of course Tomcat will die.

Below is an example of what I get in the command window when I run
Tomcat (in this case, version 5.5) in the window :

C:\WINDOWS>C:\Tomcat5.5\bin\tomcat5.exe
04-Aug-2008 14:21:27 org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener
lifecycleEven
INFO: The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance
in produ
ction environments was not found on the java.library.path:
C:\Tomcat5.5\bin;.;C:
\WINDOWS\Sun\Java\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\Programs\KomodoIDE\4.0\;

C:\Programs\Komodo4.2\;C:\Perl\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\Sys

tem32\Wbem;C:\Programs\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\programs\local;c:\programs\putty;C:\Pr

ograms\Subversion
04-Aug-2008 14:21:27 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8180
04-Aug-2008 14:21:27 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
INFO: Initialization processed in 360 ms
04-Aug-2008 14:21:27 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService start
INFO: Starting service Catalina
04-Aug-2008 14:21:27 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.5.26
04-Aug-2008 14:21:27 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost start
INFO: XML validation disabled
04-Aug-2008 14:21:28 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8180
04-Aug-2008 14:21:28 org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8009
04-Aug-2008 14:21:28 org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/16  config=null
04-Aug-2008 14:21:28 org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreLoader load
INFO: Find registry server-registry.xml at classpath resource
04-Aug-2008 14:21:28 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 578 ms

RE: Tomcat Service is stopped automatically???

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Thangavel Sankaranarayanan [mailto:tsankara@in.ibm.com]
> >>I tried  it and it is working... but how do i make the
> process to run in
> backround..what happens is when my session expires (as i am connected
> through RDC)
> or if i wanted to logoff from the remote system.... the
> process will stop i
> guess... how to make it keep running 24/7 and open the tomcat process
> window and see the  status of threads ....

The obvious approach would be to use the console RDC session (mstsc /console or mstsc /admin depending on which version of the client you have).  The console session is never reset due to a connection timeout.  Of course, this assumes you have credentials to log in to the system console and are willing to keep it logged in!

                - Peter

Re: Tomcat Service is stopped automatically???

Posted by Thangavel Sankaranarayanan <ts...@in.ibm.com>.
Hi ..

Andre wrote:

Oh well, that means you (or rather your user-id) are probably not a
Local Administrator on that system.

At this stage, I'm not quite sure anymore, because I don't have a Tomcat
4.1 system to compare this with.  So I'm working from memory.

Try this :
Supposing you can find the top directory where Tomcat was installed.
It may be something like c:\Programs\Apache Group\Tomcat4.1, or
C:\Tomcat4 or whatever.
Under that directory should be a sub-directory bin, with some programs
in it, and maybe some ".bat" or ".cmd" files.

(With Tomcat 5, there are just 2 programs "tomcat5.exe" and
"tomcat5w.exe", and I used the tomcat5.exe in my previous example.)

But I believe that in Tomcat4.x, there is a command-file called
"startup.bat".
If so, then :
- anyway stop the Tomcat service
- open a command window, and go to the Tomcat/bin directory
- type : startup.bat

To stop Tomcat later, just type a CTRL-C in the window.
(And restart the service if needed).

>>I tried  it and it is working... but how do i make the process to run in
backround..what happens is when my session expires (as i am connected
through RDC)
or if i wanted to logoff from the remote system.... the process will stop i
guess... how to make it keep running 24/7 and open the tomcat process
window and see
the  status of threads ....

             André Warnier
             <aw...@ice-sa.com>
             08/04/2008 08:58          Tomcat Users List

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
did you try IBM support?
Martin Gainty ______________________________________________ Disclaimer and confidentiality note Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official business of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and Sender does not endorse distribution to any party other than intended recipient. Sender does not necessarily endorse content contained within this transmission. > From: john@kewlstuff.co.za> To: users@tomcat.apache.org> Subject: Re: Tomcat Service is stopped automatically???> Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 22:16:32 +0200> > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Thangavel Sankaranarayanan" <ts...@in.ibm.com>> To: "Tomcat Users List" <us...@tomcat.apache.org>> Sent: Monday, August 04, 2008 3:53 PM> Subject: Re: Tomcat Service is stopped automatically???> > > Hi,> I dont find any Hkey..instead i find a Hkey_Current_user..> I have loggged in to a remote system through RDC...> and i could'nt find any system or other things in it...> > > > Regards,> Thangavel Sankaranarayanan> > -----------------> > ... its a hellava Thang! you got there hey ;)> Thang it sounds like it used to work... its an old established system and > now you getting the once a day crash...> It may be a real troublesome thing... like some bad memory... but its more > likely some application that your client has just installed...> > Some more guesses for u....> > Some idiot has put a game on the machine..> Someone has put Skype on the machine..> The admin guys have done an antivrus upgrade, and the thing runs once a day > and screws TC...> A new webapp is calling thru a bad ODBC driver and its messing with TC...> They've applied a new security pack to the machine and the firewall is > giving TC a hard time...> The admin guy has a scheduled thing going and one of the apps is stealing > TC's port...> You have a webapp that does something crazy like call system.exit...> > Also normally in those MS system error files theres a little obscure code... > a number.... you can look those up on the MS dev sites... may help your > detective work.> > My guess is still that something is stealing TC port....> Maybe just ask you client to turn off the antivirus for a day...> And conversely if there is no antivirus... maybe that machine needs a good > scan...> And even if the SP has been aplied a long time ago.... they need to be > reapplied when someone has messed with the system...> > Good luck.... outta idea's... only OBama can help you now ;)> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> HARBOR : http://www.kewlstuff.co.za/index.htm> The most powerful application server on earth.> The only real POJO Application Server.> See it in Action : http://www.kewlstuff.co.za/cd_tut_swf/whatisejb1.htm> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org>
Get Windows Live and get whatever you need, wherever you are.  Start here.
http://www.windowslive.com/default.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Home_082008

Re: Tomcat Service is stopped automatically???

Posted by Thangavel Sankaranarayanan <ts...@in.ibm.com>.
Hi,

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Thangavel Sankaranarayanan <ts...@in.ibm.com>.
Hi,
Thanks ,

No information from logs(tomcat as well as applicatoin logs)

System Event logs shows:
"The Apache Tomcat Service has terminated unexpectedly.It has done this 7
time(s).The following Corrective Action will be taken in 0 milliseconds:No
Action"

On making Netstat -an
Only tomcat listens to the particular port...

Regards,
Thangavel Sankaranarayanan

             "Johnny Kewl"
             <john@kewlstuff.c
             o.za>                                                      To
                                       "Tomcat Users List"
             08/04/2008 04:22          <us...@tomcat.apache.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: Tomcat Service is stopped
               "Tomcat Users           automatically???
                   List"
             <users@tomcat.apa
                 che.org>

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.

Posted by Thangavel Sankaranarayanan <ts...@in.ibm.com>.
Hi ,

Thanks Andre,

I can find the following information in it ....

"The Apache Tomcat Service has terminated unexpectedly.It has done this 7
time(s).The following Corrective Action will be taken in 0 milliseconds:No
Action"

Regards,
Thangavel Sankaranarayanan

             André Warnier
             <aw...@ice-sa.com>
             08/04/2008 03:11          Tomcat Users List
             PM                        <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

               "Tomcat Users           Re: Tomcat Service is stopped
                   List"               automatically???
             <users@tomcat.apa
                 che.org>

Thangavel Sankaranarayanan wrote:

 From the previous items, we can thus deduce that there is nothing
fundamentally wrong in the Tomcat setup and in its setup as a service.
It runs most of the times, it's just that sometimes it apparently crashes.

> 5) Once it stops, if you examine the "System Event log", is there a
> message that indicates why it stopped ?
> Thang>>System Even log..something new to me..where can i find
this,andre??

Right-click on the "My Computer" icon, and choose "manage" (like you
probably did to get to the "Services").
On the left-hand side, you should see a top Item "This computer", under
it an item "System", and under that one an item "Event logs".
If you expand the Event logs, you should see at least 3 sub-items :
- Application
- Security
- System
The one of interest here is probably "System".
On the right side now, you should see a list of messages with
timestamps.  By double-clicking on one item, you will see the full
message.  Then you can scroll up and down.
When a service (e.g. Tomcat) starts, there will be a couple of messages
saying "A Start message was sent to the Tomcat service" etc..
The same when a service stops.
Find out when Tomcat stops, and look around that time.
It may give you a hint right away, and if not, copy the text and post it
here.

André

Re: Tomcat Service is stopped automatically???

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

 From the previous items, we can thus deduce that there is nothing

Posted by Thangavel Sankaranarayanan <ts...@in.ibm.com>.

Thanks Andre,

Andre wrote:

1) call up the "services" applet on that system, and look for the
Service named "Apache Tomcat" or similar.
On that line, in the 4th column, it should say "Automatic" or "Manual".
Which is it ?

Thang>> It is Automatic.

2) in the 3rd column, it should show if the service is actually running,
or blank if it isn't. Which is it ?
Thang>> Actually should show Started..but when users are getting page not
displayed i come to this location and fine the
status as blank...

3) If it is not running, right-click on the line and choose "start".
Does it start, or does it bring an error pop-up ?
Thang>>Yes if i do this it gets started

4) if it starts, then when does it stop "automatically" ?
Is it right away ? after a short while ?  after a long time ? only when
you log off from this PC ?
Thang>> AFTER A LONG TIME..PER DAY ONCE IT HAPPENS... REST OF THE DAY IT
WILL BE IN THE STARTED STATE

5) Once it stops, if you examine the "System Event log", is there a
message that indicates why it stopped ?
Thang>>System Even log..something new to me..where can i find this,andre??

6) under the directory where you installed Tomcat, there should be a
directory "logs" with the Tomcat logfiles.  It normally creates one
logfile of each type for each day.  Which files are there ?
In the last ones, are there any error messages ?
Thang>>There is no error message in tomcat logs..

The above would help us helping you

             André Warnier
             <aw...@ice-sa.com>
             08/04/2008 01:33          Tomcat Users List
             PM                        <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

               "Tomcat Users           Re: Tomcat Service is stopped
                   List"               automatically???
             <users@tomcat.apa
                 che.org>

Thangavel Sankaranarayanan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with tomcat 4.1.27.
> Operating system is Windows2000.
> I am running tomcat as a window service.
>
> The problem is tomcat service is automatically stopped.There is no clues
> found in logs and what be the best solution for it.Please suggest any
good
> methods other than Tomcat upgradation to higher version...

Well, first of all, 4.1 *is* a very old version, so maybe you should
consider using a more recent one.
But other than that, can you provide a bit more information than "is
autmatically stopped" ?
I have used Tomcat 4.1 as a Windows service under various Windows
versions for many years, and it does not usually "automatically stop".
So what is happening exactly ?

Let's start from the beginning :

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.