Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> on 2005/08/25 19:01:39 UTC

[vote] Creation of Tooling Subproject

We've had the subject out for discussion for a few days, and had some
good feedback.  I think we should take a vote on the creation of a
Tooling subproject.  I'm going to just wing it here as this is our
first one, so any additions and mods are welcome, protests are
welcome, etc.  I'd prefer if we can do this by lazy consensus, but
maybe that's an add-on poll for next time.

Apache Geronimo Tooling Subproject
----------------------------------

The Apache Geronimo PMC hereby creates a subproject focused on
tooling related to the Apache Geronimo project.  The subproject will
be a home for software tools that are independent of the operation of
the general Geronimo container, or the J2EE server configuration.
Decisions about appropriateness for inclusion shall remain up to the
Geronimo PMC.

1) The tooling subproject shall have a separate root in the project
subversion repository.  Proposed :

      https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/tooling

2) The tooling subproject shall have a separate entry under a
"Subprojects" heading on the website.

3) The artifacts of the tooling subproject shall have an independent
release cycle as appropriate for the sub-project, and is strongly
encouraged to time releases to that of the main server to ensure that
users get appropriate tooling for new server releases.

4) The tooling subproject will be organized anticipating multiple
tools of equal status in the subproject.

5) The eclipse plugin source base, currently residing in trunk/
sandbox, shall be moved to the tooling subproject.

This vote will run until Sat, Aug 27 at 12 Noon EDT.

[ ] +1 Create the tooling subproject.

[ ] -1 Do not create the tooling subproject.

Comments : (Anyone have a better name?)

geirm@apache.org

Re: [vote] Creation of Tooling Subproject

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.
+1

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
+1

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Aug 25, 2005, at 7:01 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> +1 on the intent, not so happy with the name:
>
> Is the deployment tool a tool?
> Is the web console a tool?
> If we had a tool to immutabilize and import and export configurations,
>   would that be a tool?
>
> I think those are all tools and should be very closely tied to the
> Geronimo release schedule and not the Eclipse plugin release schedule.
> Therefore I'd lean toward calling this the "IDE" subproject, or the
> "tool
> integration" subproject or something like that.  Though this does
> seem to
> be a logical place to put the XDoclet code we talked about...  Maybe
> a "Development Tools" subproject name & "devtools" repo name?

Good. Works for me.   I'm happy to go with lazy consensus on the
name, so people don't have to vote again if they're happy or agnostic
about it.

And we still can choose where things go - there is no law.   There
are some tools that will be linked to the server, so we can always
just choose that they go there...

geir

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

--
Davanum Srinivas : http://wso2.com/ - Oxygenating The Web Service Platform

Re: [vote] Creation of Tooling Subproject

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> [X] +1 Create the tooling subproject.

--
Jeremy

[result] Re: [vote] Creation of Tooling Subproject

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
Results :

+1 : Geir, David Jencks, Jeff, Bruce, Jeremy, Alan, Dims, John, Aaron

Aaron suggested we change the name to "Development Tools" with
'devtools' repo, and there was no opposition, so I guess we go with
that too.

geir

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 8/25/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org> wrote:

> [X] +1 Create the tooling subproject.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: [vote] Creation of Tooling Subproject

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
+1 from me

Posted by si...@insession.com.
"Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> wrote on 26/08/2005 03:01:39 AM: